Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 powers war
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: 3 powers war Reply with quote

We have started a new campaign. As one of of us was really keen to have a 3 way campaign, that is what we have come up with. Though it doesn't involve Orions being the third person much to the annoyance of said person!

The campaign is not scenario based like our last ones, but is based losely on an SFB campaign, which some may recognise. We have tried to give it some 'historical' flavor of course.

The basic premise is that each player is at war with each other. The 'map' is a triangle with a track between each corner. Each of the corners is one players home base. The track between each player is split into 8 zones, 4 for each player along that track. The idea is to fight your way down the track and take out the home base at the far end. The first player to take any other home base wins. - we don't want to knock some one out then have him sit out for weeks on end, it also discourages alliances which are often the downfall of 3 way campaigns.

Starting from the initial 'front line' on any track and advancing towards the enemy we will meet the following zones:

A Base Station
A clear zone
A Battle station
A terrain
Then finally the corner zone - A starbase and planet.

The terrains will be secretly choosen by each player owning the zones at the start. To encourage planets they will come with a free set of DefSats.

The 3 sides are:

In the Red corner, the Coalition. Klingon, Lyran, Romulan

In the Blue Corner, the Alliance. Fed, Kzinti, Gorn

In the Yellow corner, the Invader. ISC or Andro (revealed after the others have choosen ships)

Each player starts by choosing 2000 pts of ships. The coalition and alliance can only spend a max of 750 on any given empire (so they must purchase from all 3 empires). All normal Fed Com ship/weapon restrictions apply during battles (which mainly affect ISC/Andro), but not at the overall fleet level. We are allowing ships from SFB that have rules in FedCom. We are also allowing carrier using playtest DF drone rules.

In addition to normal FedCom restrictions we are also applying 2 additional restrictions.

The number of ships in a battle is limited to the dam con of the largest ship, plus that ship. So a cruiser would allow 5 ships (4 + itself), a battleship 9 ships (8 + itself).

There may be only 1 special ship per 5 ships in a battle, or part thereof (so you need 6+ ship for 2 specials). Specials are: Scouts, Carriers, Aegis, Drone. Note that is 2 specials total not 2 of each type.

Damage will be tracked simplistically as per our last campaigns. So ships that end damaged but not crippled will start with a little damage in subsequent battles. Cripples will start badly damaged. Additionally, frame damage is not repaired between battles.

Ships may transfer from one front to another if they move to the home base for a turn.

At the end of a campaign turn each player gets 100 pts to spend. Damaged ships cost 25% BPV to repair, cripples cost 50% BPV (and must be at home base), new ships cost 100%.

Bases cost 25 to repair from damage, 50 from cripple. A dead base may be replaced by a Mobile base for 50, and in each turn afterwards may be upgraded for 100 until it reaches the level the zone originally had. You can't build new ones, only replace lost ones.

The points for spending have been set very low to make existing ships valuable, and make it hard to replace those larger ships. It will take a couple of turns to buy a new cruiser, or you can buy a small ship now type of thing.

The main part of a round is choosing a fleet from the available ships on each track. Then the larger pointed fleet has first choice on whether to attack, if not the other player can do so. The attacker will attack the next zone along he hasn't yet captured. Any bases come 'free' for the defender, the attacker gets a suicide freighter against bases. Victory is last man remaining on the map, destroying bases doesn't capture the zone, it just means that the base is no longer there to help. It is quite possible that it may take a couple of battles to take out a zone as you wear down the other guy.

Last edited by storeylf on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:16 am; edited 4 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial choices have been made. We have also decided that the Coaltion and Alliance will be the only fight this turn, representing the general war before other forces burst on the scene. All invader ships start at home, and deploy forward on turn 2 to attack. They can't be attacked on turn 1.

The Coalition (Targ) starting forces are.

Vs Alliance
===========
Lyran BCH
Lyran NCA
Lyran CW
Lyran CW
Rom Sp-M (Aegis)
Rom Vulture
Klingon D5S (Scout)

Vs Invader
===========
Klink C10
Klink D5W
Klink D5
KLink D5S (scout)
Lyran NCA
Rom BH
Rom WE

The Alliance (Capt Jack) starts with

At home
=======
Gorn CM
Gorn HDD

Vs Coalition
=============
Kzin Medium Scout (scout)
Kzin CMD (drone)
Kzin CC
Kzin DW
Fed BC [drone variant]
Fed Tug [?!?!]
Gorn HDD

Vs Invader
===========
Kzin Medium Scout (scout)
Kzin CC
Fed BC [drone variant]
Fed NCA
Fed NCL
Gorn HDD

Invader (me) starts with ISC

Fleet 1 (PPD heavy)
=============
DNP
CA
CS
DD * 4

Fleet 2 (more balanced)
===========
DNT
CC
CA
CL * 2

I've just stuck with basic ships that appear in FedCom, which given how potent scouts are in larger battles(in our experince so far) could be a mistake. But it will be interesting to see how bad the difference is. Both my opponents seemed to have assumed I'd go Andro (cos I like them), I was very tempted to just go with 4 Dominators, 2 on each track, but I've never really played ISC yet and want to see how they do in these types of larger games.

The Alliance have apparently not left Gorn ships at the Home base for some great strategic reason, but simply because Jack has yet to play with any plasma and doesn't want to be dealing with more than 1 HDD for the time being.

NB- the dust zone I've choosen is rule 6b1c 'large area' of asteroids, ie every hex is a dust hex. Had to do that for amusement sakes, a bit of damage every hex moved should make things amusing!

Last edited by storeylf on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial fight started, between the Coalition and Alliance. I sat out doing the calling, the game is still under way but the 2 commanders will continue mid-week when I'm not around, so I will have to wait and see what happened, or even do the calling again if it still needs a furter evening.

The Coalition fleet outpointed the Alliance fleet, which suited Jack as he had no intention of attacking. The coalition choose to attack.

The entire Coalition fleet on that track attacks the Blue BS. The Alliance fleet was everything bar the Tug along that track. The Coalition has about a 200 pt ship advantage, but the Alliance have the BS.

The Alliance is drone heavy (no surprise, Jack likes his drones, because like Ph3s they are easy on the power. Jack likes Ph3s as well!). The Alliance can have almost 50 drones out at once, which is not bad. On the other hand the Coalition come prepared - lyran heavy with an aegis ship.

By the time we got started and what with the sheer drone mass we only got 2 turns done. Briefly the Alliance have moved out and piled on massed drones at a lyran CW, the First lot of drones drained its ESG and various phasers (including from the aegis), the CW then turned and kept clear of the other 30 odd incoming drones.

The direct fire has been fairly ineffectual due to scouts and a reluctance on either side to close to much. The Fec BC lost its front shield, other ships have some shield damage. The Coalition have largely kept to about 20-30 range of the BS so far. The Alliance seem to be heading back to the base at end of turn 2. The Coalition I think are hoping to pull out the drones and then get stuck in as the kzinti start trying to reload the racks.
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say a very nice map! Due to all storeylf's hard work, he has let a couple of errors slip though.

1. My Tug has 1pod! (that could be vital) Shocked

2. My Gorn have been left at my base as part of a cunning plan
(more cunning than a Fox called Sherlock, smoking a pipe and wearing a deerstalker, p.s no part of my name is baldrick)
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Jack wrote:
My Tug has 1pod!

Make sure there's some good music on it, then! Wink
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as music goes it will be playing Motorhead, Dropkick Murphys or the Cramps. A more fitting tune would be Del Shannons "Runaway!" Shocked
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RL got in the way last week, but last night the Alliance vs Coalition battle continued, though between talking, eating and a truce for some late night christmas shopping only a turn was played, though it was quite a decisive turn.

The Lyran forces spearheaded a drive directly on the base station with the Vulture manouvering for a range 8 heavy plasma launch. The alliance forces were split, with Kzinti to the front left of the advancing Lyrans and the Fed/Gorn ships to the right.

The Vulture became a target for an initial wave of drones and was forced to use all phasers, plus help from the sparrowhawk Aegis to get through. The Gorn and Fed ship turned in on the Lyrans at close range and along with some Ph4s about to go out of arc opened fire with phasers and carronades at the BCH and the CW (that was still in the main group, the other CW being a good bit further back after being forced back by last turns mass drone volley), both lyran ships saw their front shields almost downed. The CW returned fire thinking it was going to suffer far more, its fire hit the Base denting a shield. The remaining Coalition ships continued towards the base. The Vulture launching 2 Rs and an F with a definate 116 impact to follow.

The BCH took out the base shield about to be hit by the plasma, but the base in return devastated the BCH through its almost down shield. The plasma followed in and destroyed the base.

The Kzinti ships had by now manouvered around the left of the Lyrans and turned in behind them on impulse 8, splitting the coalition ships - the CW, NCA and BCH to their left and the Aegis, scout, vulture and other lyran CW to their right. At range 2 through the rear shield the CW closer to the base was left a burning wreck, only able to do speed 8 next turn.

As the turn ended it was discovered that the lyran NCA had not fired, with so many ships and the confusion of so many seekers and the mass furball going on (mainly a cat on cat fight this battle) no orders had been given it, there may have been some hints of overly inebriated captains as well ! At only range 3 to the Fed ship that could have been a useful volley.

As next turn rolls round, to be played on boxing day I believe, the Coalition are looking in a bad position. They have destroyed the base, but a CW is almost certainly dead with just minor effort on the part of the Alliance. The crippled BCH had declared EM, expecting to still make speed almost 24, but some last second fire at the end of the previous turn by 2 Ph3s raked across his engines leaving it with only 17 power left after EM, and surrounded by Alliance ships. The Sparrowhawk Aegis is still fading in - which subject to a rule check is also bad, as that possibly means it cannot do more than declare speed 16 at start of this turn with 4 kzinti ships about 3-4 hexes away.

A surprising result so far. 3 mistakes have really hurt the Coalition, forgetting to fire the NCA, missing a move that would have put a fresh BCH shield to the base rather than the downed front shield. Me to firing the CW at the base when their was plenty of firepower about to hit and kill it anyway on another shield.

With a lot of power being expended on drone defense, and a focus on the base rather than ships, the Alliance fleet is looking pretty intact with just some minor damage on the fed ship and shield damage elsewhere.

The Alliance could be looking at a good solid victory. Can the Coalition pull out without losing to much, or can they even snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are looking good for me (the Alliance). Just hope I don't snatch Defeat from the jaws of Victory! Shocked Shocked
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial reports are coming in that the Alliance did not just snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but an unmitigated disaster. Shocked

ISC analysts are awaiting further information, but we are currently baffled and unable to work out how one can go from the position we were last aware of to what is sounding like the final result.

Did the alliance plot speed 0 for some unknown reason and get overrun by plasma and ESG, or were they still hungover from xmas?
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an AAR, because I cant meet Lee's prose, so just a damage report:

Alliance (Capt. Jack)

Base: (D)
Fed: BC (D)
Gorn: HDD (C)
Zint: CC, SC, MDC, WD; all undamaged

Coalition (Targ)

Lyren: BHC (C), NCA(4), CW1 [(C),(F3))], CW2 (5)
Rom: VULT, SPH; all undamaged
Klingon: D5S; undamaged

Last edited by Targ on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not speed O, but not a lot better. 8+, I was happy Very Happy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully tomorrow will see the mighty ISC sweep aside both Alliance and Coalition forces. Smile

My plan is to cross the border at 10:00am, finish off the Coalition by tea time, then thrash the Alliance from about 5:30PM to bed time. Any deviation from the plan will be severely dealt with. Cool
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I hope you mean 10:00 standard time (GMT) be warned Jane B'eta will be forcing alliances xmass cake on you. Hopefully we will see the Capt. round 16: 00.
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Storeylf missed out on the last post was "smoke me a kipper and I'll be back for Breakfast!" Wink
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Jack wrote:
All Storeylf missed out on the last post was "smoke me a kipper and I'll be back for Breakfast!" Wink

Laughing hehe excellent!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: