Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galactic Conquest: Worth getting for FC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxwell Luther
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Galactic Conquest: Worth getting for FC? Reply with quote

Questions in the title. Is it useful for FC and how does it play?
Shadow Warrior
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not particularly I would say. There is a project to produce a campaign system for FC (called Federation Admiral) but I think it is on the back burner at the moment.

It is useful if you are a player in one of the existing Galactic Conquest campaigns but as far as setting up your own campaign goes I think you would need to do a fair bit of work yourself to get it up and running.
Maxwell Luther
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Warrior wrote:
Not particularly I would say. There is a project to produce a campaign system for FC (called Federation Admiral) but I think it is on the back burner at the moment.

It is useful if you are a player in one of the existing Galactic Conquest campaigns but as far as setting up your own campaign goes I think you would need to do a fair bit of work yourself to get it up and running.

When the words 'A Fair Bit of Work' start getting thrown around, I tend to shy away. If I'm going to need AFBoW to get it up and running, I'll just make my own system instead.

I have heard of FA, but as I need something for the Summer, it won't be ready in time. A shame, as I've heard some good things about it.

Thanks for the info, though!
Shadow Warrior
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts precisely, Maxwell.

I did buy a copy and quickly concluded its primary use was to support a player in an existing GC campaign. It is not of great utility if you want to set up your own campaign, plus it assumes ownership of many different SFB products.

For now, you probably would be best working up something yourself, although you would not go far wrong on basing it on the "Our 4 Player Campaign" rules in this very forum. They are very good in my opinion. I'm using them as the basis for a SFBF campaign I'm working on.

Other good bases are the Star Fleet Warlord rules (but they are very detailed) and the Federation Space rules, especially the Lyran Space variant which files off quite a lot of the rough edges.
Maxwell Luther
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Warrior wrote:
My thoughts precisely, Maxwell.

I did buy a copy and quickly concluded its primary use was to support a player in an existing GC campaign. It is not of great utility if you want to set up your own campaign, plus it assumes ownership of many different SFB products.

For now, you probably would be best working up something yourself, although you would not go far wrong on basing it on the "Our 4 Player Campaign" rules in this very forum. They are very good in my opinion. I'm using them as the basis for a SFBF campaign I'm working on.

Other good bases are the Star Fleet Warlord rules (but they are very detailed) and the Federation Space rules, especially the Lyran Space variant which files off quite a lot of the rough edges.

I've been looking for a less DiY campaign, something I can drop and play, because I am so bloody busy, but looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet. I've considered a few systems, including the mapless one, Empires Aflame and a variant of that as well.

I have Fed Space, by the way (I started the Fed Space Campaign thread) and that was my first idea for a simple campaign game. I've been thinking about making it even easier by creating a Fleet Counter with a 'engagement range' of 6 hexes (with a bonus of 2 for scouts in the Fleet). That area around the fleet serves as a large ZOC that can intercept enemy attacks (like the smaller zones in FS) by simply assigning ships from those available in the fleetto do battle with them. Less counters moving about that way, fog of war is maintained and Fleet structure becomes a lot more important. As a side effect, I think it will also reduce the chances of lots of little 'boring battles' by promoting a more 'thrust and parry' sort of gameplay in place of 'stack 1 vs. stack 2'.

Still, I think I'll have a gander at your Lyran Space variant before I decide anything. Thanks!
paulgenna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Map Reply with quote

ML,

Our group also looked at a bunch of alternatives and finally just got some hex paper, in a large roll, and lamenated it ourselves. We then mapped out a 10x10 hex area. For the starting galaxy for rach race we determined a number of planets (6-8) and rolled percentile dice to place the planets. As scouts explored other quadrants we again determined the number of planets in the area and rolled percentile dice to place them.

Players had to scout the planets in the system by spending two entire 5-inpulse turns at the planet. Once they spent the time there we had the player roll to determine the mineral wealth of the planet (0-50 points with the majority of the percentage in 25points) per turn. The player then had to buy freighters to the planet so we use a 10point cost per hex to the planet to a starbase, up to 15 hexes as the maximum. As the player accumulated wealth they could start building new starbases, to expand out an additional 15 hexes, and warships.
Hudson
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made our own rules with random encounters and everything as well as magnetic sector maps and the works to hang on the wall.

Our campaign rules ended up being fairly extensive and written out pretty well.

We actually devoted an entire website to them.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a player of Galactic Conquest, I would say that it can be used to set up a campaign, but just as SFB scenarios take effort to convert to FD, so would GC. We've had a person set up his own campaign using it and he's received mentoring off and on the BBS. It can be done -- it is just going to take more time than expected as it is balanced for SFB with its full complement of ships.
Shadow Warrior
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson wrote:
We made our own rules with random encounters and everything as well as magnetic sector maps and the works to hang on the wall.

Our campaign rules ended up being fairly extensive and written out pretty well.

We actually devoted an entire website to them.

Is that website still around, Hudson? I'm always interested in seeing other people's campaign rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: