Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential Board Game Series...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxwell Luther
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Potential Board Game Series... Reply with quote

As I've been working on my campaign for the 5th Klingo-Kzinti War ( http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5158 ) it has occurred to me that the system I'm building for it would actually make for a great light wargame that could be played in 1 or 2 hours. The 5th KK War, would only last 6 turns, for instance and is easy enough that it could be played by older children with their parents. It would serve as a focused alternative to (and possible gateway into) F&E that falls into line with SVC's recent foray into light games, like Tribbles VS. Klingons.

Each game in the series would cover one small part of the history of the general war, like the 5th Klingo-Kzinti War or the Romulan Invasion of the Federation, or possibly earlier or later conflicts like the Kzinti Civil War or the arrival of the Seltorians in Tholian space.

In addition to being a great little light boardgame, each one would have rules for using it for a short SFB or FC campaign. The 5th KK War, for instance, would only last about 6 weeks of play (assuming one game a week).

I'm seeing a small board or map, with task force, ship, base, planet, possession and damage counters, a dry erase fleet management sheet and a few D6s, all of which would fit in a bookcase box or even a pocket box. Here are a few links to the mapboard and operational combat board for my campaign game, which gave me the idea for the board game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zd69djcjm6v0cp/5THKKWar_Map.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yldv4eugnh0vg6b/5thKKWar_OCD.jpg

Does this idea interest anybody?
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Klingon Invasion / Romulan Invasion games being used as a campaign generator.

Still a cool ideal just not a new one.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Maxwell Luther
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
Sounds like the Klingon Invasion / Romulan Invasion games being used as a campaign generator.

Still a cool ideal just not a new one.

Wow. Been in the gaming for awhile and never saw those. Still, the idea of pocketbox games isn't new either, but it still seems like a fairly marketable concept this days, especially with the aging gamer population that still loves wargaming but not necessarily the time associated with it.

I could even see turning this into an app, but my primary interest for this is as a physical boardgame that is quick, easy and takes up a small amount of room (that map is 12" x 17") but still tactically nuanced enough to be a game of skill, not just luck. Basically, F&E for the casual gaming crowd.

The rules I'm working on are almost done, so you can see those tomorrow to see the level of difficulty I'm talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: