Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Away Team Log:Delta Pavonis Colony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Away Team Log:Delta Pavonis Colony Reply with quote

I am using the events from the story "A Call To Battle" published in Away Team Log for a convention game in September. Specifically, I am looking for published data on the Delta Pavonis Colony such as location, planetary data, and key members of the colony.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will have to come with stats based on the info I can get out of Away Team Log and, mostly, my imagination.
I will be using the planet creation rules from GURPS Space for GURPS 4e to stat out the planet.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I thought "That's an RPG thing, let Jean answer it." and she thought "That's an SFU knowlegebase thing, let Steve Cole answer it."

There is no planetary profile (although if you do one that fits the data in the story send it to us and we may print it, as we have printed similar articles before).

The story is full of little bits of knowlege. I know that the AWL version of the story is shorter than the CL44 version of the story, but I think Delta Pavonis data is complete in both.

Anyway....

In Y171 the colony had been there five years.

It has no defenses against space attack, no ground-based phasers, no defense satellites, so it's too small to be a target for Kligons or even pirates.

A total population of.two thousand ... four hundred and ... eleven?
About half of those were in The Town and the rest were at outlying villages, work stations, farms, or the mine. A hundred were at a remote fishing village 4,000 kilometers away, and a dozen or two loners were who knows where, but dutifully checked in by communicator with a passing shuttle every month as required by their hermit permit. No real need to mention that three of the hermits had in fact not checked in for months.

139 million square kilometers of land area. There apparently are some ocean areas since there is a fishing village. There are entire continents that the colonists have never explored. If you assumed that 139 million square kilometers is (pick a number between 30% and 70%) of the total area (the rest being oceans or icepacks) you could then reverse calculate the diameter. Pick any reasonable number for the orbital distance and length of the year.

The air is breathable without assistance, Gravity is not an issue meaning it is between .90 and 1.10.

The colonial economy is driven by a single gadolinium mine which pays for everything, but ingots of raw metal are not much interest to pirates who could otherwise steal only food. The colony is self-sufficient on food.

There is a limited road network from the town to nearby locations such as a lumber mill. There is no road network beyond maybe 50Km of The Town.

There is a local radio station with music, local news, and weather reports.

One Dunkar owns a store where he sells goods imported from the Klingon empire, which is very close.

The colony was so boring and non-threatening that the Klingons dumped Federation prisoners of war there (no guards) rather than bother setting up a prison planet. The Klingons said they would send a freighter to the planet every 60 days to pick up the gadolinium and give the colonists whatever medical supplies and spare parts they decided to provide.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Steve!
The information is enough. I have gleaned from less. Strangely, the colony establishment rules in GURPS Space require a larger population. I figure that a colony with regular trade can get round that requirement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: