Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warp Gearshift

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Warp Gearshift Reply with quote

Just read this in the e23 CL#28. Incredibly interesting idea that SVC came up with. Anyone here ever take it out for a spin? How'd you like it?

Thinking about it, it would have made great X-tech. Same sized engine but a lot more energy efficient. Could be interesting as possible X2-tech. As I understand discussions on X2-tech, it isn't just about making a ship with more warp boxes and more weapon boxes but actually improved and/or different operating systems that bring the ship to an entirely new level. Something like the Warp Gearshift (or something similar) would fit that need nicely.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fun we tried the Warp Gear Shift last week with our first X ship frigate duel. I worked out rather nicely. Provided a few more points of power to play with. Seemed to increase the tempo of the game as we were at higher speeds throughout the game as well.

May make this a staple add-on.
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a Warp Gearshift? Is that something similar to the SFB's failed Positron Flywheel system? Never heard of it. Sounds like an X2 system.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this was put into SSJ#1 a long while back. Basically it is a way developed by SVC to have more useable power available for a ship traveling at higher speeds. Using a MC1 ship as an example, the speed range from 1-10 remains the same, so moving speed 10 would cost you the normal 10 points of warp power. Speeds from 11-20 shift the cost down to two-thirds of a point so moving S20 would not cost you 20 points of warp but instead only cost you 16.667 (round of to 17 if not using fractional accounting) points of warp power. So yo get a savings of (rounded) 3 points of warp power. In the range 21-30 bracket the move cost shifts down to one-half a point. So moving S30 would cost you 21.667 (22) points of warp power for a savings of 8 points of warp power.

This is quite substantial. Particularly of course for ships that need warp power specifically for weapons i.e. Feds, Carnivons etc.

Although this was never adopted into the normal rules, I personally think SVC came up with an outstanding idea here. This would have been for non-X ships in general had it been adopted. Since it wasn't, this is why I thought that perhaps it would make a good X2 rule. Of course an X ship already has more power..but heck, not too many are going to 'not' want an extra few points here and there.

We've tried this in a game recently (using non-X ships) and it actually worked quite well. It did serve to speed up the action a bit and can be used with the mid-turn speed rules quite effectively as well.

The chart is in CL#28 Very Happy
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Ya I agree, that would make for an interesting X2 system. Thanks for the info. Smile
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds think alike, We were discussing X2 a couple of weeks ago at the weekly designer dinner and gearshift came up in conversation.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Great minds think alike, We were discussing X2 a couple of weeks ago at the weekly designer dinner and gearshift came up in conversation.

Excellent Very Happy

I think quite a bit of interesting tech has been discussed over the years for X2. Let me toss out another bit for consideration: JE1.0 by SPP Enhanced Photon Proximity Fuse. This was in SSJ#1. Now this bit of tech does enhance the photon considerably, but I like the concept. Again, it doesn't mess with or change any existing charts or the SSD. It's not increasing the warhead of the photon. And it 'could' be an X2 system that is added to several types of DF heavy weapons, not just the photon.

The reason I see this system as viable, particularly for X2 is that it doesn't play around with the actual die roll probabilities. But it does allow for a chance to do a bit of additional damage. This is actually very realistic. Just like occasionally you're going to hit the bullseye with the hand grenade, occasionally the proximity blast from a photon is going to be near enough to the enemy ship to cause the same damage as a direct hit.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the best way you can imagine to make sure an X2 idea never gets considered for X2 is to post it in a non-X2 topic.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's okay really, X2 has had 30 years to be discussed and considered and playtested. Ideas, discussions, considerations and proposals are here in this thread, on the discus and the internet at large. Ya'll just have to figure out what you want to do and then do it.
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this idea for X-Ship Warp Gearshift...

Assuming an X2 ship with a movement cost of 1.0, use the following movement costs to calculate the speeds of 8, 16, 24, 32.

Speed 8 = 8 energy tokens
Speed 16 = 12 energy tokens
Speed 24 = 20 energy tokens
Speed 32 = 28 energy tokesn

We come up with this formula by taking an assending movement cost base beyound speed 8. For example, Speed 8 would use a standard 1.0 movement cost base. Speed 16 would use a movement cost of 3/4. Speed 24 would use a movement cost of 5/6. Speed 32 would use a movement cost of 7/8. These fractional values would be used in other sized vessels, like a frigate with a 1/4 movement cost (which would give you a movement cost values of 2, 3, 5, and 7).

Any opinions?
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnum357 wrote:
How about this idea for X-Ship Warp Gearshift...

Assuming an X2 ship with a movement cost of 1.0, use the following movement costs to calculate the speeds of 8, 16, 24, 32.

Speed 8 = 8 energy tokens
Speed 16 = 12 energy tokens
Speed 24 = 20 energy tokens
Speed 32 = 28 energy tokesn

We come up with this formula by taking an assending movement cost base beyound speed 8. For example, Speed 8 would use a standard 1.0 movement cost base. Speed 16 would use a movement cost of 3/4. Speed 24 would use a movement cost of 5/6. Speed 32 would use a movement cost of 7/8. These fractional values would be used in other sized vessels, like a frigate with a 1/4 movement cost (which would give you a movement cost values of 2, 3, 5, and 7).

Any opinions?

That would actually be a step backwards. Using the table for the gear shift as previously presented, a ship can go S30 for a cost of 22 points of warp energy (assuming a M1 ship as an example).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: