Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cards as low-cost miniatures?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Cards as low-cost miniatures? Reply with quote

SVC, et. al.,

Have you heard of Battleground Fantasy Warfare by Your Move Games?

http://www.yourmovegames.com/#!copy-of-battleground/cu0c

The business model is to allow people who can't afford miniatures or who hate painting miniatures to have tabletop miniature battles. The cards also function as measuring devices for range and movement.

I love the idea of miniatures. I really am interested in a Call to Arms. However, I really can't afford to buy miniatures, and I detest assembling and painting miniatures.

If ADB were to produce a similar product, I'd be able to play a Call to Arms with them and use them for hex-free Fed Commander games.

The market for these would be your current customers (some new customers?) who cannot afford miniatures or just don't like the painting/assembling.

Honestly, ADB would probably have a little reduction in miniature sales but those would be the folks who are buying 1 or 2 miniatures every now and again. However, in addition to gaining sales from these cards, ADB would probably gain a lot of Call to Arms sales from the customers who haven't bought because they don't have minis. Games Workshop isn't losing money to Your Move Games, so I don't think this would be a money loser for ADB.

I suggest selling them in Empire Packs (Fed Pack, Klingon Pack, etc.).

I suggest making cards similar to Star Fleet Battle Force, but lose the weapon information and add 6 hazy "shield" lines so players can determine the shields hit. The back side could be half picture and half text about the ship.

It'd be a plus having marks along the long side of the card so players can use other cards not in play for measuring movement and range. Some explanation for using those hash marks to make a 60 degree turn would be very helpful. I'd assume range would be measured either from the center of both cards or the nearest edge of both cards. Cards with any overlap would be at range 0 and cards in contact would be range 1.

I think this would expand your Call to Arms and Armada customer base while giving your Fed Com and SFB customers who aren't buying miniatures a product to buy.

Happy New Year

Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This concept is not new. I know for a fact a set of cardstock counters were published for B5 ACTA. The fact that MGP did not revive this product for NA or SF seems to speak volumes about the fact that they want a pure miniture game for ACTA.

Now ADB does provide those circular templates in first mission I am sure with a little creativity with 1" counters you could come up with SFB/FC counter. Maybe ask SVC if something like that could be retrofitted into the existing EPacks or something.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late update I went and looked at there website the only starship game they have is very similar to Star Fleet Battleforcse. Might be something you want to check out to use as your ship card ideal.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we are play testing units for the new books (i.e., ships that don't have a Starline 2500 miniature)... we use empty bases and megahex counters.

Take a standard ACTASF base (one with no vertical peg...) and using Blu'Tac (or other temporary adhesive), simply affix a Federation Commander megahex counter to the base.

This gives you an excellent representation of the unit in play, including facing - and using the actual ACTASF base allows you to retain the minimum ranges of the miniatures.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have miniatures and megahex so the need for a counter sheet substitute isn't really pressing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: