Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVC

When I did my research into trying this game, many online reviewers made the comparison of this game to SFB. That was what made me finally track it down. This game is literally the micro scale/fleet scale/ one quarter scale version of SFB I have been waiting for. Except it is not the SFU. But once you get into it, you realize that it is (two factions, Fed and Klingons). It is all right there, right down to the weapons and their nature. An impulse procedure (6 impulses), and simple energy management (move speed 5, get one energy point. move speed 1, get 5 energy points, etc), turn modes, etc.

As for would it bring you more customers? This is a game that has sold well and has high praise and is based on no science fiction franchise with a limited and not detailed background setting. Now add the Star Trek theme to it. Heck, I'll send you a check to help it happen.

There are those who will not touch games like SFB/Fed Com with a ten foot pole, and that is a shame. Then there are those like me who are limited to games I can play with my family and limited to an hour or two. Unfortunately their is no SFU equivalent for that (the cards games you did were fun, but did not capture that feel of space combat for me).

I've said my piece. But at the very least, I think you should check a video review of the game. The respect and tip of the hat to a game you designed 40 years ago will be evident.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said the first time, no matter how good their game is or how popular an SFB version might be, I will not rip off an entire game system (and I personally think that 99% of the potential market for a simpler SFB game is already covered by FC, ACTA, and Starmada). If they want to do a deal, my phone number is not hard to find. They knew it before they did their game and didn't call me (despite the deals I made with Stamada and Mongoose and others that prove I am "Mister Deal" and would have done a deal with them) so I can only presume they are not interested.

You need to spend your efforts talking to them. Nobody had to convince me to talk deals with other game systems; you need to convince them to do a deal with me. As noted, talking to me is a waste of your time since I am not going to steal their game. For the record, they did not steal my game, and their homages to SFB warm my heart. Hundreds of rules I have written in 100 different published games have been copied into 1,000 other games, and a few rules from old AH, SPI, and GDW games found their way into my games (and they all copied a few of my rules). Game designers all do this, and maybe 25% of SFBF is from the ancient Naval War game (and frankly, much of what I added to that core really needed to get copied back into Naval War 2019).

Let me know how your conversation with them works out. Your conversation with me doesn't really need you repeating your theory a fourth time. Go talk to the only people who are stopping this from happening. I was willing to do the deal before they published their game, long before you posted anything here.
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in touch with the designer. He has sent you an email through Board Game Geek. Should I ask him to contact you through the design@StarFleetGames.com email instead?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not received anything from them. I have never been to BGG so I have no idea why he would try to contact me there. Maybe he tried to contact the marketing director who posts press releases there?

In a discussion yesterday, said marketing director said she had no interest in such a product. She feels that the number of new customers it would bring in would be miniscule and it would simply divide the FC, Starmada, and ACTA playerbases. The last thing I need is to divide the same number of players across more platforms. It just makes no economic sense.

Look at it this way: Say I have 1,000 total customers buying FC, Starmada, and ACTA. She fears that I would have 1,005 total customers buying FC, Starmada, ACTA, and Talon. The result is more cost, more work, a tiny amount of extra sales, and less profit because of lower sales for the other games. And remember that profit is not evil. It is what keeps the lights on and doors open. What is worse, if 25% of the existing players leave FC, ACTA, Starmada for Star Fleet Talon, it makes it harder for anyone to find a local opponent, and that is in the interest of no one.

Any deal needs to produce NEW customers and no one here believes that a Talonesque product would bring in any significant number of them.

But if I ever do hear from them I will see what they say. As a designer, I'm interested. As a businessman, I need to be convinced that there is some good to be had. Remember that the point of any deal is to make money, not just do something to do something.
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVC,

I understand. It was worth the try. I passed on your proper email to him.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sent me an email and we're chatting. We'll see but there is always the question of would such a product be of any virtue. If there were a dozen people in this topic cheering for a deal it would be different.
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a lot of activity on this board in general. To be quite honest I think this conversion is more for the people who are not on this board. The people on this board have their options already and may not be aware of this game. I wasn't until recently when I came across a comparison of it to SFB/Fed Com and broke out of my 30 year SFU "tunnel vision".
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar with Talon and I'd have interest in buying this if it every came to some fruition.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more interested in Talon if it was within the SFU.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: SFTalon Reply with quote

Are there dozens of active people on this forum?

I would give SFTalon my dollar vote.
JohnDDW
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do check the forum often enough. I haven't looked at Talon. Would be willing to give it a try.
ElizabethB
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own nearly all of Federation Commander as Talon . and it felt like Talon could accommodate a fleet-focused SFU game that could play in under an hour with interesting tactical decisions. I'd definitely buy one if it happened, but I understand the scale here and that it doesn't seem likely.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talon and I do swap emails now and then but we're both busy people and things like this take a while. Neither of us will drop already scheduled projects to prioritize one that might not even happen.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, an SFU-based Talon would be an instant purchase for me.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a copy and a staffer has been assigned to learn the system and teach Petrick and myself how it works. Lots of other things going on we cannot drop for the latest shiny object, but it will happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: