Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X Ships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingkent
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: X Ships Reply with quote

Listening to Star Fleet Universe on Call ep 329 made me think of these...

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

So far as the CX goes, how did you decide to model the two-box saucer warp engine? I gather that the Starline 2500 CB mini has it under the back of the saucer, underneath the impulse engines; but that ship also has a fair bit of added bulk behind the bridge dome which may not match the cleaner lines on Adam's 3D model as well as your current saucer does.

I could picture the DX as the Kumerian, leading the Klingon task force in Operation Unity (just as NCC-1776 USS Bunker Hill led the charge for Star Fleet in that campaign).

If you happen to have a Dominator mini on hand, have you considered setting this pair of X-ships up against it in a diorama based on Adam's Andromeda Atacks! art piece?

And have you thought of doing any other first-generation X-ships going forward? (Personally, I'd love to see the GSX NCC-1821 USS Sakharov; its half-sibling, the NCC-1783 USS Field Marshal Colin Powell, was featured in Adam's cover art for Captain's Log #40. Not that I'd expect you to be taking cues from the peanut gallery, of course.)
ingkent
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nerroth,

Thank you for your feedback. Both the CX and the DX are modelled after Turner's awesome art. Now that you've pointed that out I actually forgot that piece, going to have to revisit it at a future date as I have another project on the go at the moment.

I didn't think about a diorama with a Dominator...should have as I just picked up a couple of Fed BC's in 2500 at the ADB store last night. I had in my shopping cart a full set of Andro ships but since they weren't in ACTASF yet I dropped them off the cart Sad

I do take cues from the "peanut gallery". They're a great source of ideas and feedback for my next project. The Chicago and F-111's I did a little while ago came from discussions on the Facebook page on SFU models and kitbashing and F-14s came from lengthy discussions and banter as well. Not sure when I will do more X-Ships though.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I would recommend the Dominator as a collectible in its own right; it's a step above the quality of the other Starline 2400 Andromedan ships, in my view.

I do hope that, one day, there might be a chance to see some first-generation X-ships done for Starline 2500. Indeed, I'd argue that there would be grounds for doing separate minis for both the CX and the GSX, akin to how the current 2500 range has separate minis for the CA, CC, and CB. (For one thing, the GSX would not need the CX's two-box centre warp engine.)

And of course, I'd be even more keen to see what new directions the ships from SFB Module X2 will go; and which, if any, opportunities they (and their Xorkaelian opponents) might spur in terms of potential new miniatures - particularly if these pending arrivals eventually start branching out of Star Fleet Battles into other SFU game systems.
ingkent
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know about the quality of the Dominator. I think if I were to pick it up one day it would be in conjunction with an Andromedan fleet. Don't know when they would, if ever, make it into 2500. Same goes for X-Ships in general as I don't think they're in 2400 yet. It would be great to see them but I think there's a lot of other ships/empires that should come in 2500 first. I think we don't see them now has more to do with sales...you'd buy bunches of CA's but how many X cruisers would you need, maybe 2, most likely 1. Might be interesting to make x engines that can fit on a CA/CC or any other cruiser type. I have 2 different X-ships right now but that's only because I was experimenting as to which looked better. The other is a conversion from a Fed CC.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingkent wrote:
Good to know about the quality of the Dominator. I think if I were to pick it up one day it would be in conjunction with an Andromedan fleet. Don't know when they would, if ever, make it into 2500.

Andros are scheduled for Book 4 (along with the ISC)
Last word from ADB was that the 2400 series Andros would be used for ACTASF. Unless one of us generous benefactors wants to pay for the design, proto-typing process, master mold making, and production mold making process. That's probably the only way the projected sales of Andro 2500s would justify the cost.
Although... if someone gives me the winning Powerball numbers - I can virtually assure production of a lot of new 2500 minis!!! Laughing

As for X-ships in ACTASF, they will certainly not be in before Book 4, although that would be a good place for them (if they ever appear).
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the Powerball Scoutdad! I'll have a few goes at the UK Lottery and see if I could do the same!

However, back on Planet Earth, I guess I'd better not throw out my 2400 Andros.
ctchapel
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the CX. One nit to pick, why did you not make the FH phasers like the ones on top? Too hardtop get at, or not seen and not worth the effort, or some thing else?

Great work!
ingkent
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't come to mind when I was doing it. Didn't look at the CX SSD either, should have. Might take it into dry dock and make the change but time tied up working on another 2500 kitbash right now, ones that's taking a lot more time than I thought with a whole hull bash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: