Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tools of the trade for assembling our Starline minis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Tools of the trade for assembling our Starline minis? Reply with quote

A couple of quick questions about the tools that can be used for assembling our Starline minis if I may? I have the basics, scalpel, small files, pin vice and drill bits and super glue, but want to add a couple of things to my arsenal.

I asked about cutting up minis on the BBS, the answer was a razor saw. What exact type and size of razor saw do folks use for cutting up minis for conversions / kit bashes?

I've also seen mention of using Dremel tools. If I was to get such a set, is there a certain type of basic kit to get, as I've seen quite a variety of sets in hardware stores, and don't want to get the wrong kit if I don't need a top of the range set. What is needed in a particular set for use in our hobby?

Pics or links to suggested items if you have any would be appreciated! Much thanks in anticipation.

Mark

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor saws (much like hobby knives) tend to follow the pattern established by the original and largest maker of them, X-Acto. That said, they're all pretty much the same. Since you won't be cutting a lot of hard stuff like aluminum, even a cheap Harbor Freight or no-name hobby store knockoff would probably serve you fine.

If you want the X-Acto version (which is what I happen to have), this is it.
Amazon Listing

To get effective use out of a razor saw, you will probably want a miter box to use it in (and hold your work piece). There are fancy metal version, but I've used this cheap plastic one for over a decade.
Amazon Listing

You can see one in use in these images:

You can certainly use a razor saw without a miter box, but the cuts quickly wander and aren't very "razor" anymore.

Those are from my fabrication of the original for the Starline 2400 Fed oCA mini (the full build process is documented in THIS GALLERY).

You'll get a zillion different opinions on Dremel tools.

My own personal journey with them led me through several.

I had an old original model Dremel (inherited from my grandfather) which died. It was replaced with a Sears Craftsman knockoff I received as a gift. Both were certainly handy for their primary intended use of home repairs (cutting off stripped screw heads, etc.) but are very troublesome for our hobby. Both only had "high" and "low" speed settings and huge (for their size) amounts of torque. Even the "low" speed setting was w-a-a-a-a-a-y too fast for trying to work soft metals like brass or (beware) lead.

I did try putting a "speed control" rheostat intended to control router tool speeds between the Dremel and the wall socket and that did help provide some lower speeds, but I didn't trust that long-term as under-volting the tool like that was just asking for trouble eventually.

They're also kind of heavy, which makes it hard to keep an engraving tool or other tiny bit steady. I tried using Dremel's flexible extension, but this still left a big mass hanging off the end, inducing motion I needed to dampen out with bracing my hand, etc.

I eventually found a cheap no-name micro rotary tool at Harbor Freight that uses a thin cord to a "wall wart" power supply which helped with the mass issues, but still lacked the kind of speed control I wanted.

What I finally settled on and have been very happy with was Dremel's
more-recent rechargeable cordless tool. It's smaller in the hand overall and the weight is better distributed. The weight is less, even with the battery - most-likely because the motor is much smaller and far less powerful (irrelevant for our hobby). The big "get" with this thing is that the motor is digitally controlled and has a fairly wide band of speed settings. For minis work, I've never used anything above the second "notch" and I'm glad the thing will slow down enough to be so useful.
Amazon Listing

I hope these help.
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Exact same mitre box I use.
Looks like the same saw, too.

I'm still using a standard, 10-speed corded Dremel tool with a flex shaft attachment.
But when it dies, the light-weight cordless is what I'm getting.
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for those quick replies, Will and Tony. I hadn't thought about the mitre box, but of course it makes a lot of sense!

Now trying to work out why the Amazon.com price of the Dremel you recommended, showing at about 75 US Dollars, which is 60 GBP at current exchange rates, shows up as 110 GBP on Amazon.co.uk!

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you can find a similar no-name cordless tool, for less. Just make sure it has variable speed and you'll be fine.
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I'm sure you can find a similar no-name cordless tool, for less. Just make sure it has variable speed and you'll be fine.

Concur.
Variable speed is a must
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw photos someplace of a jig someone made to hold the engines in place until the glue dries on the Fed CA.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was probably me.

Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: