Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lyran 3d sculpts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
The other thing I never understood is why he put large blue-lights on the bottom of the ships. What the *blink* are those supposed to be anyway?

Litterbox removal doors?
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whatever the point of the bottom detail... how's this look for the bridge?

I'm not 100% sure if that's even the right location for it, or if the ESG needs clearance forward (it certainly doesn't seem to need it to the sides). It -is- where the SSD shows the bridge, so there's that.

(Edited to lower the bridge roof a bit, it was too tall before. Bridge does NOT need to be 8 meters tall!)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aztekking is something you like or you don't. I don't, but I'm not the customer. (If we did what I like, every product would be about German tanks in Russia.)

I couldn't tell you if Adam used Aztekking or not. I don't remember. But generally speaking we took what we got. Like I said, some liked it, some didn't, so there were always fans and nonfans.
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Aztekking is something you like or you don't. I don't, but I'm not the customer. (If we did what I like, every product would be about German tanks in Russia.)

I couldn't tell you if Adam used Aztekking or not. I don't remember. But generally speaking we took what we got. Like I said, some liked it, some didn't, so there were always fans and nonfans.

Well, Aztec is Aztec. How does the bridge look on the latest pic? Is it correct, too wide, too tall, wrong place?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let others speak to the bridge, I have too many other things to do.

I don't agree with putting a decal or paint over a groove. Could you do this? Merge the two back panels into a single panel, then split it in two pieces (1/3 and 2/3) with a line running lengthwise?
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I'll let others speak to the bridge, I have too many other things to do.

I don't agree with putting a decal or paint over a groove. Could you do this? Merge the two back panels into a single panel, then split it in two pieces (1/3 and 2/3) with a line running lengthwise?

OK, let's see.

Or a three-part division on a similar theme, still leaving the midpoint over 6mm wide:

koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first one (2 parts) looks better.
ctchapel
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1 third/ 2 third split best. The bridge looks good also.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have run a split line extending from the forward hull section instead of going diagonal like that, making a long rectangle. And then another line horizontal from the outside point, thus forming a triangle and square.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More mucking about, a Leopard flying in close formation with a Cheetah:

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many moving parts, sigh. I have more Shapeways stuff on my plate for opening day than I can handle, and Shapeways is only a small part of my job. If there were five of me, we'd probably have Lyrans done by somebody on opening day, but for now all I can say is "looks cool, maybe we'll talk later.'

Like I said, more than on sculptor wanted to be the creator of the new look for Lyrans.

But these do look cool if you like Aztekking. No real reason we couldn't have both versions done by somebody.
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking some time tonight to look over the sculpts posted for the Tiger and Panther and consider how to add detail without aztecing. Might post some workups tonight, maybe tomorrow. Also working out how best to turn this Leopard into a Jaguar. Answer: Not Quite As Simple As It Sounds.
Rags
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While reading the discussion about aztekking and panel details, I thought of how some existing SL2500 miniatures like the D5 only detailed a small selection of the possible panels and used them to imply the additional details. (http://www.starfleetgames.com/Starline%202500%20Klingon.shtml#D5) I did a quick photoshop edit on one of your renders that roughly demonstrates what I am talking about and one of many potential patterns that could be used. Something along those lines might be something that could work for your Lyrans, but ultimately they are your interpretation of the ships and you have the best understanding of the style you are trying to achieve. If you did try something like that there are probably much better patterns of panels than my quick edit.

Don't worry, I am not putting myself forward to sculpt the Lyrans. There are enough Hydran ships to keep me occupied, and from Steve's comment earlier there are already enough potential sculptors for the Lyrans. I previously had considered making some for own use and made some notes and preliminary sketches. From that little amount of work, my instinctive thought is as you are making a catamaran ship you should be carefully considering how the details will effect the derived trimaran design.
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be considering it.

As for the trimaran, I've already roughed one out just to play with it, and I had to fiddle a bit as the forward parts of the side hulls are not internally symmetrical - each one slopes in a little more on the outer side than the inner side. The center prong would have to be symmetrical, of course, so it took a little resculpting and redetailing.

I have to admit I really like the 'lower hull' extension I showed in the first model, if I was printing for myself I'd keep it, but Steve nixed it, so any official submission I make will be flattish.
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like Rags' take on the Aztecing. Here's a slight alternate I came up with while fiddling about:

Comments and suggestions from the peanut gallery are welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: