Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cloaking playtest rules
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Cloaking playtest rules Reply with quote

Have the playtest rules in Comm 104 re: cloaking been officially adopted or abandoned? Or are they perhaps still being considered? I'm curious whether I should start using them or not.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have not been adopted or abandoned. We cannot do that without playtest reports, and none have been received. Give them a try and tell us what you think.

Last edited by Steve Cole on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've tested them at Battlegroup Toronto. We haven't been as diligent as we should have been in reporting the results but we'll try them again soon and I'll post results here.
In the meantime, I can say that I remember we liked using the play-test rules. They are easy to implement and they work well with seeking weapons.
I found an interesting loop-hole that might be an abuse of the rules or might be a tactical idea.
Specifically, if a cloaked ship at speed 16 is being pursued by a mass of seeking weapons the cloaked ship can Emergency Decelerate and, now being at speed 0, at the end of the impulse all of the seekers lose tracking and come off the map.
Anyway...we like the rules and we'll give them another try soon.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a loophole. That is an intentional effect.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Flying Toaster
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we properly report playtest results? I had one game with Rom vs Gorn (me with Roms, a brand new player with Gorns), and the cloak was useful because of the new rules. He launched too far out, I was able to slow down and cloak at the start of the next turn to get rid of plasmas.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email a copy to Mike West and to myself.

I am at design@StarFleetGames.com
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(From a different thread ...)
ncrcalamine wrote:
Just to make sure the "new" cloak rules are going to be in rev 7 of the rule book.

They are still provisional, though I do hope they will make it in.

Please make sure any playtest reports are sent directly to Steve, not just posted to the Forum. They really need to be emailed.

Thank you!

ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have posted 3 or 4 reports 3 or 4 years ago do i need to find them and forward them.

thx nicole
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably wouldn't hurt. Plus, anything new would be great, too.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you suspected, I haven't seen a single report on the new cloak rules.

I might comment that no matter how many reports one person sends in, I cannot evaluate the rule without reports from several different people. So if the 3 or 4 lost reports are found, they still aren't enough.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi
I emailed 12 action reports to Steve from the old proposed cloak forum. 6 by me with discussion that followed, 4 by storyelf, 1 by monty, 1 by grim shade

nicole
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember the reports in the forum. I'll have to hunt down that thread.

The consensus response was that the changes were good.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not nearly enough playtesting reports to make any determination. Most of the reports lacked key details particularly what both players thought of them. (Only one enemy report and it say the rule was broken.) It has been so many years that I cannot even remember this but it has the smell of "not enough people care for me to go forward."

And intentional effect or not, the emergency deceleration flush seems wildly overpowered to me.

If you think "the consensus" was positive I would have to say look again. The consensus by Romulans was positive; the only non-Romulan report was negative.

I would say time is being wasted by further testing if you don't remove the emergency deceleration rule. But heck, I'm just the guy who has to approve the change so don't let me tell you what to do.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the old discussion can be found here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4520&highlight=cloak%2A

After reading through it, I saw an overall favorable view, where even the most vocal opponent softened, and one proponent weakened on a one point of the changes. Also note that most effort was on a version of the changes that was stronger than what was published in CL. And both sides did post their reactions. The need to drop seeking weapons was the main desire, though. But then, who knows? Maybe my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be.

However, the one thing every single participant agreed on was that the current rules make the cloak not worth the point cost required, if not being outright pointless. To the point that one person admitted they don't bother with Romulan anymore, and another wanted a rule to let them not have a cloak and get their points back.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian380 wrote:
Specifically, if a cloaked ship at speed 16 is being pursued by a mass of seeking weapons the cloaked ship can Emergency Decelerate and, now being at speed 0, at the end of the impulse all of the seekers lose tracking and come off the map.

Quick question: When is the emergency deceleration happening? As the rules currently sit, the only time that seeking weapons are removed is when the cloak becomes active. So, if the cloak is active, seeking weapons remain, then the cloaked ship uses emergency deceleration, the seeking weapons still remain. However, if the cloaking ship uses emergency deceleration before the cloak becomes active, then, yes the seeking weapons will go away (if they are not adjacent to the cloaking ship.

So, if you were thinking that using emergency deceleration on an already-cloaked ship was get-out-of-jail-free, then, no, that isn't the case.

If, however, you emergency decelerate prior to the cloak going active, then, it still isn't get-out-of-jail-free, as you had to stop prior to the cloak going active, and it is simply the case that you are starting the cloak while Stopped.

EDIT: Let me explain why this is not a get-out-of-jail-free card.
By rule (2D3a), emergency deceleration must be declared at the start of an impulse, prior to any movement. That means that it must declare the emergency deceleration no later than the start of its fade impulse to gain the benefits of being Stopped when the cloak fully activates. That leaves it fixed in place for the fade impulse, and the rest of the entire turn. So, it isn't "free", as there is a price to be paid.

Last edited by mjwest on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: