Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusion on what is available for Federation Commander

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olschoolgamer
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Confusion on what is available for Federation Commander Reply with quote

I am a bit confused about what is currently available for federation Commander.
I would like to get started with the game but cannot find Klingon Borders and the Federation Commander Graduation also seems to be missing.

My question is, are these to products no longer available and the only choice is the Romulan Borders?

Are these titles simple on hiatus for upgrade and such and will be available in the future?

Thank you for your time and attention.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear they are temporarily unavailable because some important component is currently out of stock. I am sure Steve will pop by at some point and offer some insight to the current situation. I don't know when they will come back, but they will eventually return.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
ElizabethB
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counters for Klingon Border and Klingon Space (same counters for both) are out of stock, unfortunately.
Olschoolgamer
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is what I am looking for, which would be the best direction to take with out a big investment to see whether I would continue buying the other parts.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in the middle of reprinting them now. Probably have them next month.
Olschoolgamer
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanx for all the replies.
Grimmshade
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, did you grab the free Quick Start rules? (It's called "First Missions" and it's linked on the Home Page under Free Demo) It lets you play the base game with two ships, and its what got me hooked.

You could also pick up Romulan Border if you aren't specifically hooked on Klingons, and then grab Klingon Border or Klingon Space when they are available again.
Olschoolgamer
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimmshade wrote:
In the meantime, did you grab the free Quick Start rules? (It's called "First Missions" and it's linked on the Home Page under Free Demo) It lets you play the base game with two ships, and its what got me hooked.

You could also pick up Romulan Border if you aren't specifically hooked on Klingons, and then grab Klingon Border or Klingon Space when they are available again.

I just printed the first mission out.
I have also been checking out the YouTubes.

Years ago I played Star Fleet battles, my brother bought the Task Force Games version when it first came out and then the expansions as they were available.
I always found it a great but taxing game.
Grimmshade
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched my friends play Star Fleet Battles and always wanted to play. This game is great because it's like a streamlined version.
I've invested quite a lot into it, but haven't quite made the jump to buying miniatures yet.
Olschoolgamer
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimmshade wrote:
I watched my friends play Star Fleet Battles and always wanted to play. This game is great because it's like a streamlined version.
I've invested quite a lot into it, but haven't quite made the jump to buying miniatures yet.

I have been away from miniature gaming for awhile and started to paint again only to realize how tedious it is for me know.
one thing I am really interested in now is board games.
I am revisiting the ones I played in the past which has brought me to this new version of Star Fleet Battles.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect FedCom to be a "new version of Star Fleet Battles" too strongly.

It's a separate and unique game, that shares the same setting and ships. It owes much to SFB, but does have a host of differences.

Given the amount of time you've spent away, none of that should impact you - you'd essentially have a clean mental-slate to work with. Some folks making the transition with more-recent SFB gameplay experience sometimes have hiccups with tactics or "missing rules" (things that were left out of FedCom intentionally) or expecting 32 impulses per-turn, etc.

Regarding minis; with the recent introduction of the ADB Shapeways store, the minis there are available in color (at least the base hull color), depending on which material you choose to have them run in.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the SFU! I too played SFB back in the day (I had the Designer's Edition and the three expansions, then the Commander's Ed). I dropped out for about 20 years, then started hearing good things about this new game called Federation Commander... Smile

If you lost interest in SFB because the game got "too big" and the rules too byzantine for your taste, I think you'll love FC. It manages to simplify gameplay while still maintaining a level of detail that lets you feel like you are truly in control of a starship. Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: