Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are counters supposed to be written on by dry erase marker?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragi
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Are counters supposed to be written on by dry erase marker? Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused by counters. I tried to write on the margin of a "counter sheet" with the dry erase marker which came with the game and I can't erase it. Does it mean I am not supposed to write on the counters with that marker? How should I then use the little white box in the bottom-right corner?

And talking about the marker - do I understand it right I can write directly on the ship cards without any worries? Are the cards somewhat water ressistant? I mean if I take just a bit wet piece of cloth, do I erase it better or would I more likely damage the ship cards?

Do you have any other advices or tips concerning this?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COUNTERS: no intention to use dry erase markers (first I've heard of anyone trying that but my customers are geniuses at trying new things, well done). Plan was you could make a ball point pen mark to tell your counters from your friends'.

The ship cards are coated so that you can use dry erase markers. Rarely, one of them doesn't erase very well, and you ask us for a new one with your next order.
Dragi
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't belive no one has asked before me Very Happy I guess one of the main things that got me into thinking that is the suggestion in the rulebook (1A4) that you can use the white box on the counter to mark some special ship - this seems as something scenario-specific so I assumed I could mark it just temporarily.

But ok, got it, no dry erase markers for counters Smile Thank you for the answer.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we need to signify a counter as a different ship for a single scenario / mission - we just tear/cut a piece off a post-it note, write on that, and temporarily stick it over the counter.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've also marked the squares on the map sheets to indicate on map sheet from another.
Mine are labeled A through Z in a black marker, A through Z in a blue marker, and A through I think I'm up to G or H with a red marker.

This enables us to use hidden features on a map bu simply writing down the hex number / map ID of anything secretly deployed before the game starts. I.e., a note might state something along the lines of 'cloaked Romulan warbird, map G-blue, hex 06'
Dragi
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little piece of post-it note is a good idea. Thanks for the tips.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you could always laminate your counters, and then you can write on them to your heart's content. Perhaps heavy clear packing tape would work well enough.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
Of course, you could always laminate your counters, and then you can write on them to your heart's content. Perhaps heavy clear packing tape would work well enough.

I use this method on counters I print for myself... mainly to keep the ink clear and crisp. But laminating with heavy packing tape would make them capable of being written on with either Vis-a-vis marker or a dry erase marker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: