Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

federation commander campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkfluffychicken
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PallidaMors: grin. My apologies. Wasn't sure of your age and "college" suggested younger rather than older. Embarassed

Don't think there is a panacea for the admin thing. You just have to decide that what you are doing is worth it. I do it for their happy smiling faces. Twisted Evil
Famous last words #11: "That's a very big fleet!"
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: no problem! Reply with quote

no problem!

do you have campaign rules? if so can I see them as well?

also recent battle!

a random ecnounter role (scenario generator I use when the empires are being nice to each other) incurred an ISC intruder into gorn space, the ISC starcruiser "scales of justice" was intercetped by the Gorn BC Reptillicus.

The Reptillicus was badly damaged but withdrew before being destroyed.

the ISC (npc) gained 30 XP and pormoted his captain to Level 2

( I am sure this ISC cruiser with captain will appear again in the campaign.)
Pinkfluffychicken
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeep! Don't have a Starcruiser to hand, but my memory of SFB suggests the Reptilicus was likely to be in some trouble. chuckle. Thinking of my previous post, "ISCS Panacea" might not be a bad name for a Starcruiser!

Happy to send rules and description but should warn you that they may be utterly incomprehensible, judging by the stunned silence that has (with one exception) followed previous emails of the rules. Will send as private message.
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: battle report Reply with quote

Recently the planet killer appeared in the campaign and ravaged 2 federation worlds, the planet killer then turned towards Klingon space, here is the summary of what followed.

The Federation responded by dispatching the BCH "new Jersey class" USS Foehammer. the ship was commanded by a level 2 cpt, with a lvl 2 weapons officer and a lvl 2 marine commander.

The Federation Battlecruiser entered Klingon space thinking the planetkiller to be some type of new Klingon weapon of mas destruction. upon arriving in the Messiah system of the Klingon Empire the USS Foehammer discoverd the destroyed remains of the systems klingon production world, and the arrival of the Klingon C-7 IKV Decimator.

The KLingons seeing the Fed BCH assumed the Federation had destroyed the world with weapon that was even now moving deeper into Klingon space, and that the BCH must be the control ship or a ship sent to mop up the survivors of the destroyed world.

Needless to say the two mightly Heavy Battlecruisers fought a battle of no small magnitude.

The Klingon C-7 suffered heavy damage and the loss of thier level 2 captain ( the Federation boarded the C-7 and the lvl 2 marine commander used the ability 'assasinate' and actually succeded in rolling a 6 and elimated the klingon captain) the Federation BCH however lost the battle and was massivley damaged in a 2nd alpha strike that rendered the ship without weapons and most of it's power.

The Federation BCH surrendered, the Klingons took it as prize and have started refitting it with 6 disruptor banks in place of the existing photon tubes and have stripped off the 2 p-3 emplacements and replaced with drone racks.

The C-7 received 60 victory points!!!

5 each for the lvl 2 officers and then 45 for capturing the fed BCH and winning the scenario.

The Federation formally acknowledged the incident and expressed outrage over the engagement, and they asked for the officers and crew to be returned (The klingons said the BCH was lost in battle) the klingons refused, and the Federation has now moved to a state of war with the Kllingons and have joined in alliance with the Kzinti in thier ongoing war with the Klingons.

and the klingons still have to deal with the planet killer

......the campaign is getting interesting

Last edited by PallidaMors on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean ravaged rather than ravished? Just helps me to clarify some potentially unfortunate mental images.... Laughing
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sorry there was a ton of speling errors on my last post.....
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: New battle Reply with quote

In scenario #3 of the planet killer mini-campaign, the Klingons in an effort to locate the Planet Killer have taken all assigned patrol vessels to try find the huge doomsday machince.

The F-5 IKV Gratu'l was near the federation border, and now with a state of war existing there was an escalated presence near the klingon border of Federation Patrol ships. The USS Interceptor a standard FF signaled and challenged the F-5. The USS Interceptor is commnaded by an Anodorian.

The two ships fought a great I mean awesome battle of maneuver and sabre fighting. The USS interceptor was the victor after about 3 hours of battle. The F-5 withdrew crippled and nearly destroyed, the Fed FF was moderatly damaged, and received 20 VP

they have promoted thier Weapons officer to level 2

next the third scenario wheret he klingons find the doomsday machine..........
Pinkfluffychicken
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. FF vs F5 we used to regard as a classic match-up in SFB, but I've heard that in Fed Commander the F5 ALWAYS loses. Your game would seem to suggest differently since any game that goes three hours in Fed Commander is either very close or both players fell asleep Wink .

This turn in our campaign the economic development phase is starting to come to a close, and Empires are starting to look at eachother's space as the most likely source of economic gain. This turn the Fed attacked the Klingons. There were minor probes which came to nothing much, and a main thrust three hexes wide consisting of an NCA in the East, an NCC in the centre and two FFs in the West, all aiming south at planet 68 six hexes away. I managed to mess up the detail of the attack, but the players sorted it out and after some manoevre ended up with two scenarios: NCA vs E5 and 2 x E4; and NCC vs D5 and E4.

NCA vs E5 and 2 x E4 was quite close to an argument that has raged on these boards about the invincibility of the Frigate swarm. In this game after 2 or 3 turns or so of sabre-dancing from the Klingons the NCA had several slightly damaged shields and was closing, so the Frigates turned in and they exchanged fire at range one. The Fed split his fire between an E4 (1 o/l and one standard Photon) and the E5 ( 2 o/l Photons and 5 phaser 1s), almost destoying the E5 and doing 12 internals to an E4. The Frigates between them brought the NCA down to a total of 5 phasers and enough power to play, but the Fed had not managed to hit a SINGLE drone rack (which surprised everybody) and blew up a turn later. The consensus was that the Fed mistargeted - he should have split fire between the 2 E4s and wrecked them both, maybe destroyed them, and then thought about fighting the E5. The other tactic suggested was that the Fed should have fired at range three and turned away, targeting one E4 (all the Klingons were EM-ing) and blowing it up before the Klingons could fire.

In the second battle things went rather better for the Fed, pinning the Klingons in a corner of the fixed floating map and getting a range three shot at the back of the EM-ing E5 as it tried to scoot out of the corner. He missed with three out of four Photons, but still managed to cripple it with phasers and the Klingons slipped off the edge of the map.

Everyone's still learning how to do things at this stage and for me as GM there were two points:

1) Write a Fleet capability into the rules to allow the attacking player to group ships based on a single supply point into a designated Fleet and react those ships to events during a turn more flexibly than purely written orders allow.

2) With major offensives always resolve the movement of the actual ships involved with the relevant players present. In this case I made a mistake with the timing of ships movements that could easily have been avoided had they been there to help. Fortunately the players just laughed at my incompetence, shrugged, and had sorted it out between themselves by the time I turned up.

We played two scenarios in about four hours which involved visits from the Evil Landlord and his Lovely Wife, three bottles of wine, 4 tons of pizza and several other friends and players turning up to point and laugh. A good time was had by all and the Fed probe has been, by the look of it, effectively stopped. At least for the moment.
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds excellent, I agree with the targeting on the NCA's part in terms of focusing his fire on the 2 E-4. we ran into a similar dilema with our big fleet action between the Klingons and the Kzin at the start of this post. the Kzin spread thier fire out to much and acheived little and then the Klingons ''cleaned thier chronometers"

I may suggest looking at a flexible movement system that requires no papaer orders, I am finding that with our "border" fleet assignements and no real hex movement on our map that things work pretty cleanly.

Regards
Pinkfluffychicken
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Have tried three times to send a partial map and our planet generator (all I have electronically) but it's telling me the service is unavailable. Don't know why - it worked before. Will try again tomorrow on the off chance.

I'm not paranoid - the machines ARE out to get me. I can't get on to the Commander's Circle, either! Rolling Eyes
Pinkfluffychicken
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I may suggest looking at a flexible movement system that requires no papaer orders, I am finding that with our "border" fleet assignements and no real hex movement on our map that things work pretty cleanly.

Yeah. Trouble is our campaign largely depends on hidden movement. Much of the fun depends on the ability of the players to make flank manoevres, feints, attack their enemy's logistic system and so on. By putting up with paper/electronic orders and multiple hex movement this is very possible and entirely up to the players without requiring extra rules. I've "borrowed" the Total War idea of ships coming onto the tactical map from their strategic direction of approach, which adds a bit more in that area.

Your campaign is a "big hex" campaign and ours is a "little hex" campaign. Both work, but generally there isn't much that can transfer directly between them, I think. Mind you, I was surprised and amused at how similar our Raiding rules were - completely different evolution leading to very similar rules.

We could use your Experience rules, but the SFB experience rules were discarded early on in the last campaign because (a) admin nightmare and (b) the Campaign was in danger of simply becoming a matter of who had the most Legendaries and Good crews (so I'm told - it was just before I got involved, which was [eeek!] nearly 20 years ago). Your campaign seems largely to be ABOUT developing Legendaries - and why not? It's a perfectly reasonable way to go about it, and lots of fun.

I am going a step towards paperless with the Fleet rules I'm writing (and reading your rules has certainly helped with that - cheers!) but Fleets will still require a written order as a basis on which to operate.
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: raiders Reply with quote

The Raider/Patrol rules are very similiar.

Each of the empires in my campaign selects a group of starships (non-capital) to assign to patrol/raider activity, unless of course the empire in question wishes to purchase the services of the various Orion Cartels.

what we have found to be very valuable is that the same force of patrol ships that may be called upon to stop a raiding enemy cruiser is also the same pool that the empire draws on to stop any random monster incursions.

with each empire only having between 25-30 ships that has to be a very carfeul balance between an offensive/defensive capable empire in time of war. or an empire with less ships asisgned to the various border fleets as taskforce and instead ensuring the empires borders are safe and secure in individual patrols.
DArc_Tangent
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F5 vs FF WAS pretty close. Biggest problem the F5 faces is those 2 photons, especially if FF is allowed to fully overload them and both hit in an overrun. I survived because I tried keeping some distance and attempted Saber-dance. A few cute maneuvers Twisted Evil (launched suicide shuttle while FF had me tractored facing opposite directions; after he HET'd broke tractor [he had 0 power left] and at start of next turn threw her in reverse and backed right over the FF and gave it a taste of disr & p1's on ITS rear shield) at close range and a H & R raid taking out one of the photons helped. Re-match anyone? Smile
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and he lost....re-match sooon Twisted Evil
DArc_Tangent
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost the scenario, yes, but escaped...and it was the first time I've done the F5 vs FF engagement under Fed Com. "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 3 of 58

Jump to: