Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Police Cutter PV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valpurgius
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Federation Police Cutter PV Reply with quote

Both the MY and GW POL in Squadron Scale cost 50 pts even though the GW POL has an additional 2 360 Degree Ph-3 and a drone rack. Shouldn't the GW POL cost 58 as it is in SFB? This seems to be supported by the six point PV difference in Fleet Scale.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... I am not sure. The SFB SSD of the Fed POL I have from Advanced Missions shows the BPV to be 40 with a refit cost of 8. Add in the extra two points because of the drone speed, and you get the 50 shown for the main era ship card seen in FC.

However, I think the POL was revised after the SSD I have was made, giving it a couple more marine units, maybe more crew, and a higher BPV. My copy of G3 shows the BPV of 50, which doesn't match the SSD I have. So, by the time we got to Briefing #2, it appears that this update had been done, resulting in it having the new BPV of 50 for the unrefitted ship. The fact that both Point Values are 50 is just a coincidence.

Anyway, it would appear that 60 is likely a more appropriate Point Value for the main era ship. (It now seems to have a base unrefitted BPV of 50, plus the 8 for the refit and the 2 for the drone speed, gives a new total of 60.) But all of this would need to be confirmed by Steve Cole and Steve Petrick.

I'll go ask ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD from Advanced Mission dated 2014 has BPV or 50, with 4 Boarding Parties and 10 total Crew Units.

If your copy says BPV of 40, check the crew/BP size. If it's 6/2, then you have an old version.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
SSD from Advanced Mission dated 2014 has BPV or 50, with 4 Boarding Parties and 10 total Crew Units.

If your copy says BPV of 40, check the crew/BP size. If it's 6/2, then you have an old version.

I know I have the old version. My question is where do I find the updated version?

Also, fun fact: G3 is apparently also wrong. It shows a crew/BP of 6/4. It does show a BPV of 50, though.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, yes, the squadron scale Point Value of the main game's Police Cutter should be 60 instead of 50. However, just like with the Tholian DD, it is what it is and the ship card is still considered valid.

Valpurgius
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I was basing mine off the 2014 version too. Didn't even think about the drone speed. That does help close the gap for the Fed DD+ between SFB and FC, but the FC version is still 3 points more than I can account for.
Valpurgius
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will be correcting it in our games since a 20% increase is a pretty major point difference. And while we are on the topic, what about the Fed Scout? It seems to be using the EPV instead of the BPV from SFB. that has it 20 points higher than it should. And why does the FC version have a drone when the SFB doesn't?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Federation Commander, there are no split BPVs. Instead, there is just one Point Value. For all ships except scouts, that Point Value is taken from the Combat BPV in SFB. For scouts, that is taken from the Economic BPV in SFB.

Do note that in SFB, you have to use the Economic BPV exclusively unless the scout is appearing by itself. Only when appearing by itself is the Combat BPV ever used. So, using the Combat BPV for the Federation Commander Point Value isn't actually changing anything in practice.

The Federation Commander scout has a drone rack because Steve decided to put it there. That's pretty much the entire reason and justification.

Also, to be clear, when it comes to things printed on a ship card, I can tell you what it probably should have been (like the Point Value of the Fed Pol or Tholian DD) but that isn't errata or an official ruling. It is just "I wish I would have caught that." The ship card is what it is. If your group decides to use what the Point Value should have been, that's great. But it has to be agreed to by the group. The ship card doesn't change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: