Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tractors and turn modes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but that's not really what I'm asking about - earlier in this thread we talked about when a ship attempts to tractor another, the 'victim' can simultaneously attempt to tractor his attacker; the winner is the owner of a shiny new tractor beam.

So the question is can I do that later in the turn?
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Short and sweet Smile Thanks Mike!
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to dredge up an old thread, but this is a legitimate tractor question.

How does a drone's position change when the drone is tractored prior to impact 1 hex away from its target ship when its target ship turns?

I got the answer about impacted drones from earlier in this thread and from the compiled questions thread. Here it is:

Quote:
Q: If a ship tractors a drone in the defensive fire phase, I understand that the drone remains on the same shield as the ship maneuvers during combat. In effect, the drone rotates with the ship as it turns. When you tractor an enemy vessel and subsequently move, does the same principle apply, swinging the enemy around as you turn? Or does the enemy ship remain in the same direction from your ship throughout your maneuvers?
A: The ship remains in the same direction. Ships are much bigger than drones and are treated differently.

Based on the comment that drones are treated differently, my first guess would be that the drone would "swing around" and remain on whichever shield it was adjacent to when it was tractored. I would also say that the drone would maintain the same facing relative to the target ship.

Example (using the standard SFB map):

A ship is facing A in hex 1107.
A drone targeted on the ship is in hex 1007 facing A.
It is at the end of an impulse and the ship tractors the drone.

During the next impulse the ship turns in direction B and moves to the next hex (hex 1206).

If the drone "swings around", it would wind up in hex 1106 (and it would have moved 2 hexes).

1. If this takes place, in what direction would the drone now be facing: direction A or direction B?

2. If the drone does not "swing around", but maintains a relative position to the tractoring ship just like another tractored ship would maintain, would its new position be hex 1107?

3. If the answer to #2 is "yes", then would the drone's heading/facing still be in direction A?

Using the First Missions map, the ship's initial position would be hex 56, facing A. The drone's initial position would be hex 46, facing A. When the ship turns and moves, it would then be in hex 65, facing B.

I don't have my rulebook handy, so please forgive this if it is given as an example in the rules.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is number 2:
Just like another ship, if the drone (at range one) "swung" around the turning ship - it would effectively be obtaining a free hex of movement... this does not sit well with Mr. Newton.

As for facing... the drone retains the same facing it had prior to the manuever... i.e., in this example - facing A.

The reason the "impacted" drone rotates with the ship is due to the simplified, 8 Impulse turns in Federation Commander.
In SFB, where you have 32 discrete impulses and the opportunity to fire in each one, a drone that hits a ship has it's damaged resolved immediately and you don't worry about "impacted" drones as they blow up and go away immediately.
In Federation Commnader, a drone that impacts on Impulse 4, sub-pulse 2 isn't resolved until two sub-pulses later... even though it actually hit the ship on 4-2.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impacted seeking weapons that have been tractored stay "stuck" to the shield they impacted regardless of how the tractoring ship moves. No one else can tractor the drone.

Seeking weapons that are tractored prior to impact are treated like "ships"*. In this case, the seeking weapon will maintain its same relative position in relationship to the tractoring ship. Likewise, someone else *can* engage in a tractor auction to contest the tractor link.

So, for an example. A ship ends its impulse one hex from a drone seeking it. The ship is facing A, and the drone is in direction A of the ship (i.e. off its #1 shield) and has a facing of D. The ship tractors the drone. During the next impulse, the ship turns to the right. At this point the drone remains in direction A from the ship, but is now facing the ship's #6 shield since the ship is facing direction B. The drone still has a facing of D. In fact, as long as the tractor is maintained, the rone will always be in direction A from the ship, and will always maintain a facing of D.

[*]There is one main difference between tractoring a ship (or bases) and tractoring some other object (i.e. drone, shuttle, wreckage, "puck", crystal, etc.): A ship may tractor more than one, and may be tractored by another ship and maintain those links. That is not true with ship-to-ship tractors (5D5c).

(Which is all a long-winded way of saying Scoutdad is correct. Smile )

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification guys!

I guess one could say that even though there is no rotation of tractored objects in FC, there can be rotation of tractoring objects.

Has a tactics note ever been written about this?

Or is this so basic a principle that it needs no further elaboration and its possible consequences are too obvious???
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Impacted seeking weapons that have been tractored stay "stuck" to the shield they impacted regardless of how the tractoring ship moves.

Think of it as bird mess on your windscreen.... Laughing
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question on the idea of duelling tractor attempts.

Ship A declares a tractor attempt on Ship B; Ship B responds with a 'me, too' tractor attempt on Ship A and an auction follows. Ship A bids more than Ship B, so Ship A owns the shiny new tractor link.

Does Ship B's tractor beam still count as having been used this turn, even though his link was not established?
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would ship B even want to establish a tractor on ship A? The ship that has expended the most energy for movement will control the movement...it doesn't matter whose tractor it is.

If B has expended more energy than A and A wants to tractor B, then B should let A do the tractor. B will control movement anyway.

If A realizes the mistake and drops the tractor, then B can establish a tractor of its own.

If A has used more energy than B, then B would not want to put a tractor on A in order to control movement, only to slow down A. But if A has put a tractor on B, then why would B want to tractor A. A will be slowed down and B will not have used energy to do it.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions, but it was more to do with the original tactical context which is a little complex to go in to here. Basically it is to do with who controls the link itself, not the movement; that was what was important at the time.

The question simply remains, does a tractor which failed a duelling tractor atttempt count as having been used?

I myself think that it would, since it would indeed count as such if it had simply been a tractor-vs-negative tractor auction.
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses the tractor and the energy. And, since it is not "negative tractor" it does not remain until the end of the turn for use against other tractor attempts.

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
It uses the tractor and the energy. And, since it is not "negative tractor" it does not remain until the end of the turn for use against other tractor attempts.

Ah, of course. It uses the energy too, because it's an auction, therefore it must use the tractor. Thanks everyone for the help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: