Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips to track closest approach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda21
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Tips to track closest approach? Reply with quote

I’ve seen a few cases (probes, banshees) where there is a reference to the “closest approach during a turn”. For instance, Banshees do 5 damage to the closest mobile armed unit during a turn.

I was playing with 4 gunboats and 20 banshees. Trying to track which unit each banshee came closest to and which shield it was facing at the time became very daunting, to the point I finally simplified it for myself and had the Banshee damage the first unit it was within range of on each turn.

I also couldn’t figure out how to handle some timing issues. For instance, what if on impulse 5, the banshees had done enough damage to destroy the gunboat, but I don’t know this till the end of the turn? I could end up using the gunboat to fire in impulse 6 without realizing it should be destroyed.

Anyway, am I making all of this way too hard, or is there some trick to tracking all of this that I’m missing?

Thanks for any advice.
whomcitizen
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of tracking the exact closest approach and shield facing for each banshee, you can adopt a rule where all banshees target the same gunboat for simplicity. This way, you only have to track one target for the group of banshees each turn.
Alternatively, you could establish a rule that banshees always target the gunboat with the lowest health first, which might simplify your calculations.
Jonathonim
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accurate closest approach tracking is still the more reasonable approach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: