Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Commander: It's been a long while

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Fed Commander: It's been a long while Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Last time I was here was probably around 2015 or so...So, think I got most everything (game & modules...might be missing the last one called 'Oriions Attack' or somefink).

Anyways, from what I remember is that players were asking for FC not to turn out like the more complicated StarFleet Battles (which I use to play back in the late 80's-90's...Is this still true, or did FC spiral out of control?

Think the last discussion that I remember back then was about adding or not adding Fighters, Mines, etc, but can't remember the outcome.

Thanks for any info,
Joe
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done new ships in the newsletter and captain's log.
I cannot remember but I thought reinforcements attack was after Orion Attack.
I have three products in development. I need to see where they are after the recent covid interruption. I thought we did a PDF product months ago but I don't remember.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it did not spiral put of control. But time has marched on.

Yes, they have added VERY simplified Fighters and VERY simplified Gunboats. Giunboats are simply treated as tiny ships no special rules for them.

For the future who knows. They have said if they add mines they will be treated like a terrain feature and probably be maple panels.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game really hasn't spiraled out of control, but things have been added to it over time. (Really, a game always has to get new stuff, or it will die.) The last product released was Gunboats Attack!, but it is PDF only. Maybe someday it will be print, but right now it is PDF only.

While Gunboats, Fighters, and X-ships have been added to the game in various states (PDF-release product, playtest rules and ships, playtest rules and ships, respectively), all of them are done in a much, much more simplified manner that massively streamlines how they are used and the rules needed for them. Gunboats, for example, are just tiny ships that are added to your forces. There are no tenders, warp booster packs, or any of that other stuff. (Mines have never been added and would only be even considered as a "terrain", not as individually deployable items.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maple panels? I like maple pastries.
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds Good, guys...Will probably re-read my FC game (purchased probably around 2010) again to try and get back into it.

Now, I remember purchasing the game when, I think, v 1.03-04 (or somefink) came out, but it's probably been updated since then. Is there a way to get the latest revision so I can see any rules/addendum changes, etc ?

*Side Note*...My Dad owned 'Wargamers Hobby Shop' in Sterling, Va back in the early 80's till early 90's and our distributor was 'Greenfield Hobbies and 'The Armory'.
We sold Star-Fleet Battles (original box shelf containing grease pencil) and then the preceding Supplements 1, 2 & 3, etc. Then, when we moved to another location a few years later and SFB again was redone with Volume 1-2-3 Box Sets. Then I think it was redone once again few years adding SSD Books, etc, (or somefink)...Ahh Yes, the Good Ole Days.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current version is Rev6, so what you have is a little out of date. Honestly, most of the changes are just clarifications and rules interactions, so it doesn't have to be a big deal. That said, if you want the latest rules, you can pick up one of two things ...

- Klingon Border Rulebook: This contains the same rules (but not scenarios) as the Romulan Border Rulebook.
- Reference Rulebook: This contains all of the rules (but not scenarios or ship listings) for all of published Federation Commander through, say, 2020.

The latter is the much better value, to be honest.

Those links are for the print copies. If you just want PDF, you can get them through places like DTRPG and Warehouse23.

(Since you said you have Rev3 or Rev4, I figure you already have the ship cards, maps, and counters and don't need those. The above are just the rulebooks only.)

JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I remember...I purchased the Klink Border (which I think was v1.3) then shortly after got Fed Commander Ref Manual (just because it was updated to v1.4). also purchased all Attack Modules up to 'Orion Attack' (which was the latest back then).

Basically, I'm only really interested in the 'Original Border Systems' (Feds, Klinks, Roms, Kzinks, Gorns, Thols, Orions, Lyrans, Hydrans...Lions & Tigers & Bears...Oh My!) and nothing else (none of the newer additional races, ships, etc).

So, it looks like will go ahead and probably purchase the newer 'Commander Ref Manual' (just to keep up to date again), and maybe one other 'Attack' and should be good to go for the remainder of my FC days Smile

Thanks again, guys
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that you can buy just the rulebook as "spare parts" and not have to buy the entire box set, right?

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and noticed the 'Spare Parts' section.

However, since I have the Base Game and 2-3 'Attacks Modules' now and will buy some others later, minus well get the 'Ref Manual' to cover everything.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other advantage of the Reference Rulebook is that the "spare part" KB Rulebook is $11. The Reference Rulebook is $15. The latter is a much better value as a pure rulebook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: