Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFBF Card Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battle Force
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fed Marine
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: SFBF Card Game Reply with quote

For all of you out there
Can anyone tell me more about the SFBF card game ? it's been awhile (I'm in the Service) since i've played SFB (oh about 20 years -no joke) and was one of the first to play it when it was still carried around in a sandwich ziplock bag in "81" and have watched it grow ever since so i'm a "old-timer".Was on the webpage and saw the new card game and thought i would give it a try and buy a copy and is it about the same as i remember it ?
Steve
U.S.S.Lexington
NCC-1703

Last edited by Fed Marine on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Fleet Battle Force card game is really nothing like Star Fleet Battles or Federation Commander. If you have ever played the old Avalon Hill game Naval War, it is something like that. I think there are some good descriptions of it over at the www.starfleetgames.com website.

Players draw random ship cards and then build a hand of action cards so they can fire their weapons and do certain other actions. The last player to destroy a ship gets the points for it.

Several years ago our SFB group played it quite a bit as a diversion from standard SFB.

I certainly don't regret buying it.
Fed Marine
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I think i'll give it a try it's been along time but want to get back into the "saddle" again.I think it's a smart idea that they should have come up with a long time ago.I was a die-hard SFB gamer from 81-87 but it just got way to complex and Hell nowadays you have to be almost a Grad of the U.S. Naval War Collage to play it and i do miss playing it.So i think i'll give FC a chance and heard it's alot simple then SFB's and i can't go through a 410 page rule book again.Hell i remember when it was just less then 20 pages myself.
Again thanks
Steve
U.S.S.Lexington
NCC-1703
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I played SFB back in the mid-80's to the late 80's, then I got out of it for a dozen years or so. The kids were growing up, I was coaching basketball, teaching, attending meetings, concerts, games, etc. Just wasn't time for anything else.

Now the kids are graduated from college or in college and the wife and I have lots more time, so, with her blessing, I'm back. The Federation Commander system is *so* much easier than SFB! I miss some of the detail and the various segments of the timeline from SFB that FC doesn't have, but patience is a virtue. The Borders of Madness project will eventually merge both together as creative minds and the need for new products provide the impetus.

Welcome to the FedCom fold!
Fed Marine
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,
and i know where you coming from with the wife thing-LOL Laughing mine said the samething and just shook her head (guess they'll never get it-lol)
Steve
U.S.S.Lexington
NCC-1703
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should answer most questions....

http://starfleetgames.com/sfbf.shtml
Fed Marine
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Steve !
U.S.S.Lexington
NCC-1703
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check the copyright date on my version of SFBF. It looked to me as if there were different designs on the ship cards posted at the link SVC placed above. I bought mine awhile back. Has there been a redesign?

Next question...if there has been a redesign, what do I need to get up to date with SFBF? Simply new cards? Have the rules changed, too?
Fed Marine
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also is it used at game tournaments ? it would be cool to see it done and i think that it wouldn't be that hard to come up with some kind of Rated Ace's system like SFB's has and have the game come into it's own rights like the "Other" one .
Steve
U.S.S.Lexington
NCC-1703
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has not been any redesign. Some of the downloadable cards are done in simplified graphics so they could be downloaded easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battle Force All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: