Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to play bad Federation Commander
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the mission objective of the scenario you're playing

I have (and so have our opponents) forgotten the mission specific goals of several Federation Commander scenarios and have just concentrated on killing the enemy ships... sometimes to the detrement of my mission goal.

Confused
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partner yourself with an overly talkative ally

While playing a Tholian vs Romulan battle this past weekend, my ally (flying a Neo-Tholian Heavy Cruiser) remarked (outloud); "Hey if the Romulan continues to move his plasma torpedoes straight instead of slipping them to the left next impulse - you can pay to decelerate forthe following two movements and all four torpedoes will have to travel through 4 asteroid hexes rather than the one they would encounter by slipping left!"

Anyone want to guess how the Romulan player chose to move the plasma torpedoes on the next movement sub-pulse???
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm, guessing the Tholian Commander dealt harshly with this unacceptable Intelligence Failure! Twisted Evil
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the joint Alliance was being commandered by the Captain of the Gorn HDD (under the nominal rank of Commodore - by virtue of his size advantage [and the fact that he owned the game Very Happy ], but he did get his revenge - after a fashion.

Once the HDD was crippled and began to exit the board, the Romulans grabbed the NCA in a tractor beam and began pushing it through the asteroid field at speed 16 + 1.

It was like a bad scene from a teen-age comedy movie...

move, BAM! (15 points damage) - Oh, sorry 'bout that...

move, BAM! (20 points damage) - Oh, sorry 'bout that...

move, BAM! (15 points damage) - Oh, sorry 'bout that...

move, BAM! (30 points damage) - Oh, sorry 'bout that...

move, BAM! (30 points damage) - Oh, sorry 'bout that...

move, BAM! (15 points damage) - Ka-Boom!!! Oh, sorry 'bout that...
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, the old drag them through an asteroid field until they explode trick... not the best way to kill an enemy, but the most fun!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, according to Plasmaboy (my son) it's the most fun he's had killing a ship since we started playing Federation Commander 2 or more years ago...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Although, to make the fun last, after he took out the front shield and did a few internals... he turned and started pushing the NCA through the asteroids backwards so he got to take out a whole new shield... Laughing
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see you are raising your son to always treasure the small things in life. Smile

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the raising of families. I have been playing SFB since 80 and it's now '06, so that's... ummm, [let me take off my shoes, this is the south you know and cyphering can be difficult] that's fingers and toes until the year 2000... then you write down a 0 and carry the 2... add one hand plus 1 finger and put down a six [ that's like an upside down nine, right?]... add those together and you get... a really long time.

My oldest is 24, so all the kids have grown up just waiting until they were old enough to play with daddy's toys, so they learned to appreciate things in the right order:
God First
Family Second
SFU Third
then education / career... Shocked

Although I can't see where I failed the youngest son (Plasmaboy). He doesn't like the true finesse weapon (Drones - especially early, slow drones) but prefers the hard-hitting Plasmas... Type-R's, Type-S's, Type-R's, Type-G's, Type-R's, and even Type-f's... did I mention the type-R?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rely On Burn Through At Fleet Scale

Shield burn-through is a lot more effective at Fleet Scale than Squadron Scale. At Fleet scale, it usually takes 2 turns for a cruiser to fix a damaged warp box or weapon. At squadron scale, especially in a cruiser duel, burn through is more of a nuisance than a threat because the damage will simply be repaired at the end of the turn. If you play a lot of Fleet scale, you can develop the habit of relying on burn-through which is a problem if you switch to Squadron scale. Blasting through the shield and damaging his ship with a big volley works fine at either scale, and won't trip you up if you change scales.
zackwalk
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play Squadron scale ship with Fleet Basic Point Values or play fleet scale ship with Squadron BPV'S.(Easier to do on Federation commander Online:-)
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
Ahhh, the old drag them through an asteroid field until they explode trick... not the best way to kill an enemy, but the most fun!

It sounds as much fun as tractoring someone to hold them still so that conga line of 6 suicide shuttles can finally do something.... Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mahatmamanic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetting to reload drone racks

It sucks to be on turn four, firing a wave of drones from your undamaged ship, and realize that your racks are now empty. If you fire drones at all in a turn and don't have high priority repairs to do, reload a drone rack.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropping a shield only to realize that you have no power to use transporters

Someone did this in a recent game. The ship he was pursuing then used transporters to do two successful hit and run raids on him!
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rely on the dice to save you

Turning a down shield towards an opponent at long range just before you say "they'll never hit anything at that range." Three successful disruptor hits later......
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky Scot wrote:
Rely on the dice to save you

Turning a down shield towards an opponent at long range just before you say "they'll never hit anything at that range." Three successful disruptor hits later......

Ow...

Big mistake. Always assume that at least one "lucky hit" will get through. 1 in 6 (everything except Hellbores, which use 2d6 instead) is actually big enough that gambling that it "won't happen" is somewhat risky.

That actually reminds me of a time I was discussing dice probabilities with a math teacher (spurred on by rolling four sixes while firing a full salvo of overloaded photon torpedoes), and one of the other students pointed out that a "Yahtzee!" (term from that game, if you're not already familiar with it) is even harder to get. And yet, I rolled one of those in the single game I played.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: