Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A quick F&E question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: A quick F&E question Reply with quote

A while ago I picked up an old copy of F&E, but I was wondering how different are the newer 2000 rules? are the map and/or counters different?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which copy do you have? The Original F&E rules or the Deluxe F&E 86?

Not much changed rules wise between the two, but the change to the F&E2K rules was huge.
The counters from the original set had a few changes made in the '86 set. The counter values in F&E2K are about the same as those in '86, but several were changed between the original and the '86 version.

If you have any further questinons, feel free to contact me off list at the email address in my profile and I'll be glad to answer them.
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well go F&E2k now which is much prettier than my Deluxe version, one quick question thou in the The Wind set-up (601.2). It notes that lyran have the Northen fleet and home fleet avaiable.

But according to the Fleet Annex Lyran don't have a Northen fleet (The klinks do) I am guessing that its ment to be Red claw rather than Northern? (Unless the klinks have lent an entire fleet to the cats Shocked )
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyran Red Claw Fleet = Lyran Northern Fleet.
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick answer
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Which copy do you have? The Original F&E rules or the Deluxe F&E 86?

Not much changed rules wise between the two, but the change to the F&E2K rules was huge.

Just pulled my (1986) version of F&E out of the garage where it has been for 15 odd years as I was looking at maybe doing a computer version of it to pass the time. Spent the last couple of hours re-reading the rules but then noticed on the site that there was a newer version.

Just how 'huge' is the difference in rules?

Is it still based on economy, repair, production, move + reaction move, reserve move, combat, retrograde move, field repairs, strategic move?

Is move basically fixed (6 hexes)?

Is combat a % of your attack strenght as damage points, with some directed?

I doubt I would want to buy the new version as there is about zero chance of me ever actually playing it, but if the new version is hugely different then I'll not waste my time programming the old one.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some time playing around in .net which is something I'm not overly familiar with, but its coming along quite nicely.

[img]http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/puree1/SFB/?action=view&current=FEscreeny1.jpg[/img]

Still be interested to know though how different my '86 edition of F&E is to the current version.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf: You do realize that there are already two computer versions of F&E available (and a third on the way) don't you?

VASSAL
and
CyberBoard
both have various modules for playing Federation and Empire utilizing a computerized interface. The various modules allow you play the differnet sceanrios included with F&E or you can do the entire General War from start to finish with 1, 2 or more players.

In additiona, a team of several developers are working on F&EOL (Federation and Empire Online), a companion to SFBOL and FCOL that will be ran from the same server as the online versions of SFB and Fed Com.

For more information, you can check out the Computer F&E Development thread on the starfleetgames discussion board.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
storeylf: You do realize that there are already two computer versions of F&E available (and a third on the way) don't you?

Aye - I came across them earlier, I didn't know at the time I started last week, but that doesn't bother me, I'm just doing as a hobby thing anyway.

However, whilst your here (hopefully), can you give me any indication of how different the new F&E is to the old ('86) F&E. Are they fundametally different, or just that the later added more stuff (and hence needed more rules) but is still essentially the same system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: