Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to start playing (and avoid sucking!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hobbybox
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: How to start playing (and avoid sucking!) Reply with quote

I've just started playing Federation Commander after a friend introduced me to it, and I'm having a few problems.

I've trying to learn how to play using Romulans and I'm getting my head beaten in!

Any advice on how to use Romulans better, or which race is easiest to learn with?
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romulans are tough to begin Federation Commander with because of their unique cloaking device. My own advice would be to first scan through the tactics threads here and read everything you can about tips and tricks others have learned. Also, don't be afraid to bolt those plasmas!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the cloaking device until the plasma is ready, then decloak, fire, laugh at the burning wreck where your opponent's ship was, and recloak.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romulans can be tough. When I teach new players I start them in D7. Its classic, familiar and super easy to use.

However if your intent on using romulans remeber that the cloak is really a defense mechanism. I use speed to get in on my target and look for a firing opportunity. If the target insists on going 24+ then I will bolt and begin the cloak.

Once you cloak you have given up the offensive, so be prepared to sit a while. However I sometimes like to save and S or a couple Fs in case my opponent wants to over run me. Then its time for the Gorn anchor and some plasmas.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Use the cloaking device until the plasma is ready, then decloak, fire, laugh at the burning wreck where your opponent's ship was, and recloak.

hes tried that one, so I tend to rush him and fire in impulse 8 of a turn, even with +4 to range and half damage you hurt some shields.

one thing to note, we are playing fleet scale if that makes any differance to helping him.
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're playing one-on-one games, it's best to just use Heavy Cruisers at Squadron Scale; that's the best balance for 1v1. Using smaller ships (or Fleet Scale) tends to make you die after the first good hit, which really punishes mistakes. Also, the plasma ships get kind of wacky at Fleet Scale.

If you're playing Roms (or Gorn) then you're pretty much going to have to spend the first turn evading, because your heavy torpedoes won't be on-line. Better to just plot high speed and run around the other guy.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not 1v1 games as is, around 200pts at fleet scale is the average game at the moment.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silent bob wrote:
pinecone wrote:

hes tried that one, so I tend to rush him and fire in impulse 8 of a turn, even with +4 to range and half damage you hurt some shields.

one thing to note, we are playing fleet scale if that makes any differance to helping him.

I play fleet scale too, and that probably gives you less of a chance to hit hard because your heavy weapon number is less, thus you will get "all or nothing" more often. I rarely fire anything but corronades and phasers at cloaked ships.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know when to use the cloak.

1) Don't cloak on the approach...it encourages your opponent to fire right before you do and reduces your speed.

2) Do cloak after you launch your torps. It helps you survive his fire if you can't open the range

3) Don't cloak if you are at long range (15+). He can't hit you anyway so you're just wasting power

4) Do cloak if you're reloading and can't open the range.

Other than that, bolt to slow him down. When he can't go fast, start lobbing the torps (unless he's coming head on, than lob away from the begining). Also, load your Torps as G-Torps and upgrade as high as possible on launch (G-Torps cost 1 power to hold!). Don't be afraid to fire a 2-turn F to keep him honest, and save your F's for good shots; they're free to hold so keep them for when you need them (this only applies to F-torp boxes; not bigger ones)

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad on top of that, F-torps star the game loaded!( Mr. Green ) Not all romulan ships have an f-torp, but all the hawks do in squadron scale. (the gorns on the other hand, do have an F on every ship Mr. Green )

F's are te best torp, in my opinion. You either start the game with them loaded, or you quick load them with a larger launcher, plus they have no hold cost.(except on larger launchers) Plus, the feds and Gorn and Orions get carronade ( Mr. Green ).
The Hobbybox
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plus, the feds and Gorn and Orions get carronade

I thought Romulans with Type F launchers also had that ability?
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romulans do not get the carronade
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't need it because they don't battle cloaked vessels, other than orions...
The Hobbybox
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where does it say in the rules that Romulans can't have cannonade?
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well says that its only used by the gorns, the federation and some other empires.
question is unless fighting other romulans or cloaked orions why would romulans need it? much better to fire plasma bolts if firing direct fire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: