Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to buy Technical pens/Rapidiograph pens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Where to buy Technical pens/Rapidiograph pens Reply with quote

Since I've gotten back into painting I discovered my old rapidiograph pens had died due to the ink drying in the pen. I'm looking for a good source to buy 3 pens from. Any suggestions?

I'd also like information on printing decals. I'm doing Gorn with the orange triangle logo and painting by hand is not giving the results I want.

Thx!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up a complete set of 12 radiograph pens from "Michael's". They have a complete line of drafting / mechanical drawing implements. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), the one nearest my house lost their lease and closed. I picked up a new airbrush, the radio-graph pen set, and scads of paints / brushes for 70% off. Luckily there are still 4 other Michael's in Nashville, so I still have a source for quality paints / brushes.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got an incredible deal.

I did find a 7 pen set 4x0, 3x0... w/ ink for $60 (shipped) on eBay. Considering the tips online are $13 and the pens $18 this is a good deal. I'll have to spring for cleaning kit and some white ink. It'll make lettering the Gorn ships I have easier. In the past I've used them on Warhammer 40k marines and the black ink in the right spots adds a lot to the miniature.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered about the white ink. Does it work well? If so, it would be awesome for the lettering on the Gorn ships.

I originally purchased mine for use on Warhammer miniatures. The intention was to color the recessed lines in the panels of my eldar vehicles is a contrasting color... but I ended up using them for lettering on purity seals, posters, grafitti, even used them for trim work on the marine shoulder pads.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white ink works great on the Gorn ships. I did do a set w/ decals; the decals look great but were a pain to put on. The triangle markings using decals are best, but the rest can be done by hand just as good as the decals.

On the 40k guys, I'd outline the helmet eyes with black and use it for detail spots that ink/brush wouldn't work. On the terminators with the power gloves I'd paint it a solid color then use the larger size pen to draw on black lines. Yellow/black stripes looked really good on them.

I also found if you had a minor 'goof' in the paintjob sometimes you could hide it with the ink.
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question from a new member.

Trying to get back into wargaming, and as my preferred subject is starship combat, I want to get back into getting miniatures painted.

Although its been years since I used one, when you talk about the Rapidograph (Radiograph?) pens, are they the same thing as the technical pens I used at school (MANY moons ago! :roll), where the ink comes down a thin metal tubular nib, or are they some sort of VERY fine tipped felt pen?

Thanks for your time! Smile

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same thing. The two brands that I am familiar with are Rapidograph and Staedtler Mars. I have several of the S-M pens from my time as an aspiring artist. I have used them forfine detail on several minis... the only caveat is this:
Once you've used the technical pen, the ink is suceptible to running. In my experience, a couple of really thin coats of clear-coat (sprayed from a decent distance) will protect the lines w/o allowign them to bleed.
But as always, YMMV.
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT was the name I couldn't remember, Staedler! Rolling Eyes

I thought that using such a pen would be difficult, as I would be trying not to scratch the paint job with the metal nib?

I take it just takes practice! Rolling Eyes

By the way, YMMV? (I'm terrible at these! Wink)

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Mileage Might Vary
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Your Mileage Might Vary

Ah, gotcha! Cool

Note to self, gotta learn txt speak and urban slang! Wink

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trynda1701 wrote:
THAT was the name I couldn't remember, Staedler! Rolling Eyes

I thought that using such a pen would be difficult, as I would be trying not to scratch the paint job with the metal nib?

I take it just takes practice! Rolling Eyes

By the way, YMMV? (I'm terrible at these! Wink)

I have scratched the paint before... but then again, I have scratched the paint with a 3B drawing pencil - so again YMMV... hahahaha. Confused

I prefer using a 20/0 script brush and acrylic paint thinned with an appropriate color ink, but I know several painters that will only use the technical pens - so it's a matter of personal choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: