Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D5W, D7D or D7C?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

D5W or D7C?
D5W
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
D7C
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
D7D
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: D5W, D7D or D7C? Reply with quote

My group is starting up a league and I want a cruiser that will primarily be for multi-purpose use and I was trying to decide on the D5W or the D7C. Tell me what you think?

The D5W does seem, in many ways, to be the better overall choice. It has an extra PH-1, plus more shielding and some better arcs. But it also has 2 PH-3's and 2 PH-2's as a rear armament as opposed to the D7C's 4 PH-2's and the D7C has 2 more LAB, just in case they become needed for lab type work or as extra damage cushion, as well as 2 more TRAN and 4 more marines though I'm not sure how useful marines will be to me... And then there's the D7D. It has less phaser firepower than the other 2, but it can launcher drones at a much faster rate...

For note. In this league we have to set up a 750 point fleet that we will use from now on. This is what makes the decision difficult since I don't know what all I will be using said ship for.

Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnally I prefer the D5W, it's Disruptor arcs allows it to maximize Klingon tactics -- mainly the Saber Dance --
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D5W, Baby... all the way!
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the D5W, (and other NCAs in general), tend to be more capable and flexible than their elder cousins, the CAs.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the D5W support. It's a War Cruiser and, as such, was developed after seeing the issues with the D6 and D7. Of the remaining 2, I prefer the Ph1 of the D7.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I might prefer the D5D, you're probably better off with the D5W for flexibility.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all say D5W for flexibility. But the D7C is the more flexible vessel and that's quite easy to see. The only thing more flexible about the D5W is the disruptor arcs. The D7C has more padding, in the form of 2 more lab and 2 more transporters. This means the D7C is capable of boarding, if the scenario demands or for other random victory point bonuses, and it's twice as effective at research based scenarios. The only reason to take the D5W over the D7C is because of it's better overall firepower, better disruptor arcs and it's improved shielding.

The real question is flexibility, or direct combat effectiveness...

Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:

The real question is flexibility, or direct combat effectiveness...

Well, now maybe a good time to request the Klingon DWL from SFB Module R10,(the module that has ships SVC once said would never appear Very Happy ), to be added FC. It keeps all the Flexiblity that the D5W has over the D7, while adding in the extra systems that the D7C has. That way, you have your flexibility and can use it too.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it a fluke, but in one-on-one, ship-vs-ship duels - the D7C is highly over-rated. I've never had any luck fielding it as a soloist, but I can kick some Kzinti posteriors with a D5W...

Sometimes, it's not a matter of the number of boxes a ship has, it's something more intangeble - it a ship's "je ne sais quoi", if you will that determines how well it flies as opposed to how many phasers can be brought to bear on an enemy off the port fore-quarter.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont' doubt the D5W is a better ship. Hands down, I agree...at least in combat. My point was that the D5W is a warship, where the D7C is a multi-purpose ship. The D7C can perform tasks, such as boarding and lab work, in a much faster manner than the D5W. So, in short, the D5W is more effective in combat, but the D7C is more flexible because it can perform more roles than just that of a warship.

What about the D7D or the D5D though? I tend to like the idea of the D7D due to it having 4 disruptors and 4 drone launchers. Now that's a flexible armament. lol

When it comes down to it. I'm just trying to probe you guys for any piece of information I can get. Come Friday I have to have a 750 point Klingon fleet that contains at least 300 points of ships worth 100 or less points. And once this is chosen it will be the fleet I'm stuck with until I can at least be allowed to purchase some reinforcement and I don't know when that'll be. So, I need a fleet that can perform whatever task is put before me, whether direct ship-to-ship combat, anti-space monster combat, or whatever our devious GM can throw at us.

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good, around Klingon multi=purpose ship, the D7C is a good choice and I'd probably take one... but I'd also want a couple of D5W's to round out the field.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
For a good, around Klingon multi=purpose ship, the D7C is a good choice and I'd probably take one... but I'd also want a couple of D5W's to round out the field.

The problem is the 300 points of ships worth 100 points or less. This makes squeezing multiple larger ships difficult. I also want to put in at least one D6 Frignaut, those jokers are just nasty in smaller games...and they are also quite useful in larger games really.
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other ships will you be flying in your fleet? Because if you are going to rely on other ships to actually deal the damage to your enemies with direct fire, I'd consider a D7D, but if you want this ship to be your fleet's primary muscle, I'd go with the D5W.

I'd probably only pick the D7C if I was confident that the other ships in my fleet could make up for the difference in firepower between the D7C and the D5W. If they could then the extra marines might be worth it.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I'm not entirely sure as of yet. Some of the fleet restrictions are in the process of being changed as so I'm not entire sure what I'll end up with. But I was planning on at least 3 F5's and 1 or 2 F6's. Of course this will be in addition to 2 cruisers.
Repok
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I voted for the D5W anyway...but is this Fleet Scale or Squadron Scale? It actually makes a difference. The advantages of the D5W get muted a bit at Fleet Scale.

When talking about the Fed NCL, the Gorn DW, the Kilingon D5W and so forth..remember to keep a historical context. These are mid-war ships built on a wartime economy with nothing in mind but the destruction of enemy space assets (hence skimping on the Labs, Hull, etc. in favor of more weapons and power). Taking War Destroyers against early war stuff is a bit lopsided (not unplayable though) even at same points value.

Locally, we deem it in bad taste in general to surprise your opponents with DWs in pick up games.

As for the D5W, Not enough can be said about unloading 80% of your ships' firepower on your opponent while flying at a 90 degree angle to him.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: