Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D5W, D7D or D7C?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

D5W or D7C?
D5W
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
D7C
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
D7D
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a few guys try the "sabre-dance" tactics for Klingons and they have gotten extremely frustrated with trying to do it. Their conclusion is that at some point in a battle with, say a Fed ship, the Klingon will have to turn away if the Fed heads straight toward him (or even at an angle himself to preserve his #1). After the Klingon turns, its all but over. The game simply becomes one of chase. The Klingon uses his HET and then has to gamble every time he wants to HET from then on. By the time he has turned to fire those disruptors from long range again, the Fed keeps on coming and closes the distance.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?

The Klingon is far more maneuverable than the Fed is. He should be able to outmaneuver the Fed and slip back behind him. If the range gets a little close, then declaring Evasive Maneuvers will effectively ruin the ability of the Fed to get hits with the Photons.

Klingon ships are some of the most maneuverable vessels in the game. That makes for a very potent advantage if used properly.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:

Klingon ships are some of the most maneuverable vessels in the game. That makes for a very potent advantage if used properly.

And that's the secret - the difference between Admiral Kumerian and Ensign Klunk.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
junior wrote:

And that's the secret - the difference between Admiral Kumerian and Ensign Klunk.

*snicker*
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right. These guys don't take advantage of EM nearly as much as they should. All they want to do is fire, fire, fire. Then they run out of energy and can't do anything other than finish out their movement for the Turn.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to handle that sort of thing is to swap ships. Instead of running the Fed (which I assume is your normal ship), run the Klingon ship instead. And have one of your opponents who normally runs a Klingon run a Federation ship instead. Then use your understanding of the tactics to beat the Fed.

Probably the single biggest issue with Klingons is that they require a certain amount of patience to fly properly. You can't afford to get in close against most of your opponents because they have enough firepower at close range to shatter your shields and seriously hurt your ship. So you have to keep the range open and wear them down. But the natural impulse for most players - at least initially - is to play as if your ship carried Fusion Beams. i.e. race in to point blank range where your weapons will do the most damage. The numbers look nice and big. But when your opponent guts your ship while you knock down a shield and wreck a few hull boxes, you quickly realize that it wasn't such a smart idea.
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
The best way to handle that sort of thing is to swap ships. Instead of running the Fed (which I assume is your normal ship), run the Klingon ship instead. And have one of your opponents who normally runs a Klingon run a Federation ship instead. Then use your understanding of the tactics to beat the Fed.

Who are you talking you exactly?
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm responding to Mike. He's the one mentioning people who don't EM.

Razz

In my game last Friday (playing a duel with Fleet Scale ships), the Klingon came up behind me. At range 5 on sub-pulse #4, I declared a High Energy Turn with the Federation Heavy Cruiser that I was flying. The end result was to drop the range to 3 hexes, with the Klingon in my forward firing arc. I had enough power to fully overload one photon, and partially overload the other.

And in the Defensive Fire Phase, the Klingon declared EM, dropping my hit chances with the Photons from 1-4 to 1-2.

*sigh*

Used properly against Feds and Fusion Beam Hydrans (not so much against Hellbores, which aren't affected nearly as much by a two-point die shift), Evasive Manuevers are brutally effective. The lack of seeking weapons, coupled with the dramatic drop off in weapon accuracy/effectiveness as the range opens up, means that this tactic is particularly effective against those two races.
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:

Probably the single biggest issue with Klingons is that they require a certain amount of patience to fly properly. You can't afford to get in close against most of your opponents because they have enough firepower at close range to shatter your shields and seriously hurt your ship. So you have to keep the range open and wear them down. But the natural impulse for most players - at least initially - is to play as if your ship carried Fusion Beams. i.e. race in to point blank range where your weapons will do the most damage. The numbers look nice and big. But when your opponent guts your ship while you knock down a shield and wreck a few hull boxes, you quickly realize that it wasn't such a smart idea.

Yeah, the best way to beat a particular ship is to fly that particular ship. This'll let you know what the enemy can and can't do.
defurusu
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on both counts: know your enemy and don't forget Evasive Manoeuvres! It may even be worth letting a drone hit you while under EM to make the bigger guns miss.

One point of burn-through v 32 points of Overloaded Photon damage, all the while pushing to get yourself out of arc of the Photons... of course if the drone is hitting the same shield as the Photons would this is probably not such good advice?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoug probably no longer helpful, I'd chose the D7D, packing the punch of the D5W (with 4 Distruptors and Four Drone, which is more than the D5W has), and retaining the labs of the D7C.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinecone...You're seriously turning into a necromancer. None of us really care if you read the old post and make a comment every blue moon or so, but this is becoming a habit. Wink

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is two times really considered a habit?
I thought that that was constructive, and this thread could now be used to argue over which is the best klingons ship, in a respecful way, of course.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just giving you a hard time. Smile

This thread may not be the best choice for discussing the best klingon ship. It was dealing specifically with the choice of ship to take under point limitations. Overall, they decided that the D5 was great in combat (duh...it's a war cruiser), but the D7C was a more flexible, well-rounded ship.

Rather than confuse everyone, I suggest starting a new thread to talk/debate about which ship is the best Klingon ship.

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still belive the D7D is better, but that's my opinion. If you want this thread to die ( Twisted Evil ) then let's stop talking, and I'll never post here again. Please comply with that though.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: