Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mauler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Mauler Reply with quote

Do Mauler's auto-hit?
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule 4Z (from communique, don't recall which number):

4Z2 Firing procedure "...The amount of damage scored (there is no die roll) depends on the range and amount of energy discharged."

So, yes Maulers auto-hit. Nasty.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:

4Z2 Firing procedure "...The amount of damage scored (there is no die roll) depends on the range and amount of energy discharged."

Communique #18. And thanks, I overlooked that line. Those things are brutal. lol
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's another thing on maulers. Are you limited to spending only the energy in stored in the "mauler's batteries" or can you expend the energy normally generated as well?

Also, what of shield reinforcement? It says you can only spend 4 points of battery power per impulse on non-mauler purposes, but shield reinforcement isn't necessarily power from the batteries.

Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:
OGOPTIMUS wrote:

Communique #18. And thanks, I overlooked that line. Those things are brutal. lol

They are brutal, but very hard to get on target. They are best for fixed or very slow targets (typically used in base assaults).

I am curious if the '4 points from batteries' was meant to indicate the limit on shield reinforcement myself. I know that in SFB, many times maulers are damage absorbers because the enemy is willing to unload on one in the hopes of either damaging the ship or forcing the ship to waste power on reinforcement. So, that bit of flavor might be present in FC too, or might be nerfed in favor of preventing star castling as it is on non-maulers.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to me as thought they'd make an excellent 'threat' to try and force your enemy to maneuver to your advantage. Basically just point them into an area of space you don't want your opponent to be in and I think it'll be a safe bet that he won't go there. lol
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:

Also, what of shield reinforcement? It says you can only spend 4 points of battery power per impulse on non-mauler purposes, but shield reinforcement isn't necessarily power from the batteries.

As I remember the original discussion, Maulers are limited to 4 points of shield reinforcement per volley.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule about reinforcement says that maulers can only use 4 batteries per impulse, no matter how many batteries it has unexpended.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: