Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orion Vs. Gorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sock
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Orion Vs. Gorn Reply with quote

Okay, so inspired by sylvrdragon, I'm gonna turn to the forum for advice in anticipation of my game this friday. It seems inevitable that I will be squaring off against the gorn player this week. Does anyone have advice that they would be willing to share, besides stay out of carronade range?
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basicly, what I just posted in the hapless Klingon's thread goes double for the Orion. The Gorn, as noted in the other thread, has a lot of phasers. But they're spread out all around the ship. There's only so many facing in each direction. Come in from the rear, where the heavy torpedoes can't fire (keep an eye out for the smaller F-Torpedoes, however), blow down a shield, and stay focused on that shield. If you get the chance, launch some Hit and Run raids to take out some of the phasers covering that shield (but be very very careful about when you choose to drop your shield).

With the Orion ships currently available, there's a good chance that you'll be facing off against one of the "single-bubble" Gorn ships. In this case, your job is even easier since the ship is missing a good chunk of its rear-facing phasers. Make the most of this.
sock
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, hapless Klingon. Thanks for the advice Junior, I should probably study the layout of gorn ships some just so I know what im getting myself into.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the die roll results he reported on his weapons fire, I think the term fits. The dice were apparently displeased with him when he played that game...
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Given the die roll results he reported on his weapons fire, I think the term fits. The dice were apparently displeased with him when he played that game...

Indeed. I'd say missing with 75% of your shots when you have a 66-80% chance, depending on which turn I fired in, of hitting could be considered 'hapless'. >.<
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you need more Hap?

The one thing the Orion can do is beat the Gorn at the Anchor. However, you're still awful close and have a fragile ship....
Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
So you need more Hap?

So it would seem my friend. You wouldn't happen to now where I can buy some in bulk?
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
The one thing the Orion can do is beat the Gorn at the Anchor. However, you're still awful close and have a fragile ship....
Shocked

I don't know if I'd ever want to anchor a Gorn with an Orion. Remember that if you're at Range 1, there are always at least two torpedoes that can fire at you. And if you're on the #4 shield facing (where neither of the S-Torps can fire), then you're also looking at both the right side and left side phasers, along with the rear-facing ones. That's over three-quarters of his phaser firepower (Gorns tend to also have a 360 degree phaser or two along with all of the others), and is going to hurt when he cuts loose with them.

jmt - Why do you attribute a derogatory comment about Hydrans to a Hydran admiral?
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon wrote:
jmt wrote:
So you need more Hap?

So it would seem my friend. You wouldn't happen to now where I can buy some in bulk?

I think you can get a case of Hap at Sam's.

junior wrote:
jmt wrote:
Shocked

I don't know if I'd ever want to anchor a Gorn with an Orion. Remember that if you're at Range 1, there are always at least two torpedoes that can fire at you. And if you're on the #4 shield facing (where neither of the S-Torps can fire), then you're also looking at both the right side and left side phasers, along with the rear-facing ones. That's over three-quarters of his phaser firepower (Gorns tend to also have a 360 degree phaser or two along with all of the others), and is going to hurt when he cuts loose with them.

Yes, one would have to time it perfectly. Not so much a game winning move as a coup d'grace (once the plasmas are gone).

Quote:
jmt - Why do you attribute a derogatory comment about Hydrans to a Hydran admiral?

Yes, a confusing name. I'll correct it. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: