Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting on decals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Putting on decals Reply with quote

I've finally found a bit of time to finish off my latest batch of Gorn ships (will post pics of my fleet someday) and would like opinions on decals.

When I put the decals on you can see the shine/outline of the decal. I can't remember whether or not I need to gloss coat, decal, then dullcote the miniature.

Any opinions will be appreciated.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it right.
Gloss-coat (or spray with Future), apply decals, swab off excess decal glue, allow to dry, then dull-coat.

Some folks (like me) use gloss paints for the base-coat and forgo the initial gloss-coat stage.

Another couple of tips:
- Trimming the decal as close to the art as possible reduces the amount of clear carrier-film that can show.
- Swabbing off the excess decal adhesive and using solvents like Micro-Sol/Set can help reduce "silvering".
- Gloss-coating the mini after the decals dry provides a thicker more protective clear-coat which protects better against handling.
Since it is thicker, it also tends to hide the edges of decal film.
Some folks spray a coat of Future instead. I've also heard of just dunking the mini in Future, but I'd be afraid of pooling and drips.
A dull-coat can be applied over the gloss-coat to cut the shine. Dull-coat alone tends to be too thin and gets rubbed-through easily (allowing damage to the decals).
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to give that a shot; only done 4/11 so the rest I'll be able to blend in the decals. This is assuming I get any time this week between homework w/ the kids, afternoon activities and family time.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took one of my completed test miniatures w/ decals on the flat paint and hit it with a coat of the Wal-Mart brand clear. The decal blended in to where you had to look real hard to see the lines. A 2nd coat of dullcoat brought the shine down to a reasonable level. Hopefully they'll get finished off this weekend.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'm glad that is working for you.
Post pictures when they're done!!
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that too. I'm trying out some new more generic brand (Krylon) clearcoats too, and I was worried that they'd destroy the decals and all my hard work.

Can't wait to see some pictures too!

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any luck using the "other" brands of clear coat. It seems that if use anything other than Armory or Floquil... I ruin the miniature and have to start over.

I must be doing something wrong... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: