August 2012: Pick the next SFB module

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Star Fleet Battles: New Product Development: August 2012: Pick the next SFB module
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
The Original Memo  1   08/21 03:28pm
Archive through August 21, 2012  25   08/22 01:01am
Archive through August 22, 2012  25   08/22 05:13pm
Archive through August 23, 2012  25   08/23 07:40pm
Archive through August 24, 2012  25   08/24 09:13pm
Archive through August 25, 2012  25   08/25 04:34pm
Archive through August 27, 2012  25   08/27 10:55pm
Archive through August 30, 2012  25   08/31 12:10am
Archive through September 01, 2012  25   09/01 01:57pm
Archive through September 02, 2012  25   09/03 02:49pm

The nominees are:
C6 (Borak, Peladine, Paravian, Carnivon, Nicozian)
Omega
R13
J3
K2
X1B
X2
Y4
New Galaxy or Sector
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Alternate timeline = conjectural

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Current theory is C6 will ONLY include Carnivons and Paravians but will include counters for Borak and Peladine. The counters will only be available in the product, not separately.

Current theories have a lifespan of about 36 hours about ADB, but this one looks good.

By Stephen Elliott Parrish (Steveparrish) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:47 pm: Edit

What about the Nicozians?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Probably not going to be enough space on the sheet for the Nicozians. Same for C3A.

There are 14 blocks of 20. The Borak want 4 and the Peladine want 4 and that doesn't even leave enough for the Carnivons and Paravians, who each need four.

Now, it's possible that a better way to say this would be this.

C6 as currently envisioned will have 80 Carnivon SSDs and counters, 80 Paravian SSDs and counters, and 120 counters that could be used for C3A, Nicozians, Borak, or Peladine (pick any two of those four).

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:49 pm: Edit

That sounds like a good compromise.

So, would that mean that E3 and E4 would be upgraded to "formal publication" status, perhaps with any required errata included as part of the C6 rulebook; or would there be scope for a "Module C6A" in a few years' time, which could formally cover the Borak and Peladine?

And is there any mileage in the idea of using the fourth countersheet "slot" (alongside those earmarked for Reinforcements Attack and Last Stand) to commit two SFB modules to print at once, and doing the easier one (i.e. C6) in the New Year; or would you prefer to only have one SFB module in the current batch instead?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:53 pm: Edit

That would not upgrade E3 and E4 to anything they aren't now.

If they were rolled into a new product in future, it would be C7 or C8, not C6A, but given that E3 and E4 exist, if they have counters, they don't need to be rolled into a C module.

Doing two SFB modules now would mean not doing Marines Last Stand now. Not saying that would be the end of the world, but not likely.

If the single-sheet print on demand quote ever shows up and isn't awful, FCDK reprint could go there and free up a second spot, but even then you're not likely to see it be C7, but hell, anything is possible I suppose.

By Stephen Elliott Parrish (Steveparrish) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:55 pm: Edit

The Nicozians have few ship types, and might not need that many counters. Could they possibly be put in with two others?

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 02:58 pm: Edit

So, the fourth slot has already been allocated to a re-print of Distant Kingdoms?

(I wasn't sure if that slot was still open or not; but are the current FCDK stocks low enough to require it?)

Actually, I was hoping that a "free" slot (if one were to be found) could be used for one of the six Omega modules; but other people would have their own ideas as to what should or should not go there.

And of course, the whole idea is moot if there is no "free" slot to go around.

-----

One thought about the countersheet thing; what if the Peladine counters added were the ones that aren't already on Special Countersheet #1? They may not look as polished as the current standard, but they would at least be available already. If SC#1 was added in with Module C6, that might free up more room on the new countersheet to use for other ships.

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Hopefully the counters in C6 won't include anything from C3A, as the whole point of that module was to not require counters. A subset of the other three seems reasonable.

80 SSDs each? Nice. That beats the crap out of the list of 30 I gave before, so that is very nice indeed.

By Nick G. Blank (Nickgb) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 03:35 pm: Edit

I am happy with Borak/Peladine counters but no Nicozian or C3A. Then Nicol before C3A, which doesn't really need counters.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 03:42 pm: Edit

The current stocks of FCDK are zero.

I am not so sure that C3A doesn't need counters as Petrick has been pushing a sheet of them at me at every staff meeting since it was printed.

Yes, the whole point was it didn't need them (but it turns out, it did, and I'm cranky about it, but that's neighter here nor there).

Anyway, it's not entirely sure that any counters would be left. Assuming 80 Carnivon SSDs, there would easily be a need for many more than 80 counters (fighter squadron or two, PF flotilla or two, shuttles, seeking weapons, multiple copies of CA/CW/DW/FF). Same for the Peladine.

Anyway, 80 SSDs is a nominal "at most" number.

If we have a DWE do we HAVE to have an FFE?

If we have a DWG do we HAVE to have an FFG?

If we have a DWS and the FFS is obsolete do we HAVE to have the FFS?

Lots of ways we could painlessly reduce to 60 SSDs. Leanna hasn't approved a 160-page SSD book (and probably won't).

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 08:52 pm: Edit

At this point I am 95% certain that it's going to be Paravians/Carnivons.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Are they the same Paravians as we've seen in Captain's Log?

By Mike West (Mjwest) on Monday, September 03, 2012 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Well, I gave a list above on what I thought would do for a nominal minimally complete list that added up to about 30 SSDs. So, even having just 40 SSDs would probably do a decent job. 60 would be awesome.

I have no problem with ditching the FFG and FFS, but the FFE (unique among most, if not all, of the FF variants) would still be useful.

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 02:26 am: Edit

Same, in some ways, but not others.

Steve handed me a list today that topped 80 SSDs and 120 counters. I had planned on FFE but not FFS, FFD, FFG, or FFV.

By John Erwin Hacker (Godzillaking) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 07:09 am: Edit

SVC:

In a "post far far in the past in a galaxy far far away" you said you might portray one of my crazy Gorn starships in an up and coming module.

How about a module where the players of this game can put there own designs in it as long as they give you a "history" about that ship and where it "might fit into" the actual timeline ?

I would call it : Module R100 The Ships That Might Have Been

I know my designs that I submitted were "way over the top" as it were when it comes to the "overall scheme of things" in this game but it would be super if us players were allowed to have a Module all to ourselves :) :) :)

Just "food for thought" as it were.

Yours truly,

John Erwin Hacker

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 10:27 am: Edit

We did that already (ships that never were).

By Stephen Elliott Parrish (Steveparrish) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 12:38 pm: Edit

What relation will these Paravians have to the Omega Paravians?

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Personally, I'm excited about Paravians. They're a really fun race, and it would be nice to have their general war era rules fleshed out.

Carnivons are a big "meh" for me. I'd much rather see the Peladine fleshed out, as they're more interesting tactically from my personal perspective.

Not that that changes anything. The decision's made and I'd buy C6 regardless of what went into it. :)

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:55 pm: Edit

The Peladine will get fleshed out in a future module and little farther calendar-wise from the pubication in E4.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:58 pm: Edit

SVC, thanks for the update on your plans. Good to know the Peladine will get fleshed out eventually.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 06:41 pm: Edit

So, since C6 has seemingly made the cut, will this thread remain open to discuss what might be up for consideration next time around (or if a second module's worth of counters opens up for some reason or other); or will things be wound up for the time being?

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 12:51 am: Edit

I think we're done but until I get the other countersheet quote I dn't really have a lock.

I don't see any reason to discuss today what we might pick a year from now for the next round. Tastes may change by then.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation