Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terrain questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone mind if I posted one of my terrain questions here, or should I start a new thread?
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Kang: By the way, I forgot to ask about this is my last post... If you have access to a SFB map, can you send a description of the same situation, but using SFB map hex numbers instead? I don't have any FC map panels, but I would still like to set this up to see exactly how it looks.

Indeed I will, Mike - thanks for pointing that out. To help you visualise my example, let's say firing ship in 1019, target in 1219, planet in 1119 or 1120 - doesn't matter which. Hope this helps.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Would anyone mind if I posted one of my terrain questions here, or should I start a new thread?

rofl Laughing No offence meant by the chuckling, Pinecone; altho' I'm not an Admin, I'd see no reason why you shouldn't post a terrain question on a terrain thread.

And yes I do understand and appreciate your comment in the light of certain recent exchanges in these forums - but that would be going off-topic! Wink
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang:

If the firing ship is in 1019, the target in 1219, and a planet in 1119 or 1120, this is a sticky wicket.

Without the planet, the target ship player could choose either shield facing through which to take the fire. There seems to be two possible outcomes:
1. The fire would not be able to occur if the target chose the shield that was more in line with the planet, or
2. The fire would occur on whichever shield the target chose, but it *would* occur because the line of fire does not pass through the planet.

The way I read the seeking weapon rules, in this case a seeking weapon could still be launched because the planet is not "blocking" the line of sight to the target. Once it is launched, it can move to avoid the planet no matter what. The target cannot maneuver in such a way as to force a seeking weapon to impact the planet.

That's my opinion.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. My question, though, mainly relates to whether the line of sight is blocked by the planet, not so much which shield is hit - although of course that question will come in once I have found out whether I can actually shoot or not. Your answer does raise more points as well! Very interesting; I hadn't thought about one shield being blocked and one not....

Last edited by Kang on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, here it is (it's come up twice, both in scenarios where ships land on planets): The rule book says that a ship landed on a planet is protected from fire from three different directions, but it never says what those directions are or how you determine them. Any Ideas Question
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinecone

That one seems easy ---
Determine which hex the ship landed in --- the hexes to the left and right of it would have line of sight -- the other three wouldn't --
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about on a one-hex planet?
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one-hex planet was what he was referring to.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A one-hex planet has six hex-faces pinecone.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said full hexes, not hex faces. And wouldn't there be two hexes to the left and two to the right?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone:
Think of it this way...

here's your planet:

/-\
\_/... say you landed on the bottom hex face,

__ B
B/-\B
C\_/C
__C
The hex faces labled "B" block enemy fire to you as they can not fire through the planet itself,
The hexes labeled "C" allow a clear line of sight to your ship.

I hope that helps.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks Scoutdad.
dstancliffe
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Without the planet, the target ship player could choose either shield facing through which to take the fire. There seems to be two possible outcomes:
1. The fire would not be able to occur if the target chose the shield that was more in line with the planet, ...

I don't think that's right.

You seem almost to be assuming that the positions of the ship's 6 shields are identical with the 6 hex-sides of the hex it is in. And they aren't.

The hexes are VAST compared to the ships. Imagine placing a tiny hexagonal pin-prick in the defender's hex. That's his ship. IF it's placed so that the attacker can see and shoot it, you could imagine a very tiny adjustment of facing giving the defender the choice of the two split shields.

And that's true regardless of whether the attacker's line of sight is deemed to pass through the planet hex or not.

(FWIW, I think the attacker has LOS - and if he does, I don't think that in any way determines which of the two shields the defender allows him to see).

[response to scoutdad deleted, because I read his post wrong]
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstancliffe:

I understand your explanation and think it makes sense.

I'll back up and say this, though: after carefully reading the rule (6A1d) about planets blocking direct-fire weapons, I do not see the planet blocking fire in the example mentioned in this thread. The line of sight for the fire is occurring along the edge of the planet hex. A strict reading of the rule says that the planet blocks the fire if the planet hex intersects the line of fire. In this case, it does not.

Which shield of the target ship is impacted by the fire is a separate issue. Like I said above, I think it would be whichever shield the target ship wants.

Good explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: