Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
|Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:26 pm Post subject:
|[from the Legacy BBS Miniature Updates Thread]
By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 03:28 pm:
Did the P65 thing affect production of the C-5 Light Dreadnought? It's not on the cart at the moment.
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 03:55 pm:
We're out of it and waiting for restocks, which will be P65.
That was a follow-up question to SVC's announcement of the shift to P65 (lead alloy) for all new production minis.
By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 02:54 pm:
1. the price of tin has jumped 300% in the last year and there are no signs of it coming down, ever.
2. Reaper is going to start making some of their minis in a lead-tin alloy that is vastly cheaper. This is called P65. They aren't doing this with all of their minis, just a special line.
3. Because of the soaring cost of metal, we cannot even hold the higher prices for new ships which were released earlier (the battleships and light dreadnoughts) and the cost of other minis will be going up, a lot.
4. To avoid this, we're going to have Reaper modify our molds and run in P65 lead-tin alloy. This will allow us to keep all of our prices where they are. Packaging for ships containing P65 will be marked appropriately.
5. Lead is a big bugaboo because of California and New York, but it turns out that the industry-wide switch to pure tin was a panic not actually required by the laws in either state since wargame minis are not targeted for sales to small children.
6. P65 alloy has better detail, doesn't crack, and is far easier for modellers to modify.
7. Not all of our ships will be P65, just new production of ships made by Reaper. (Our other casting house is not converting; if they do, we'll do another press release.) If you really want ships with tin only, then I would suggest you look at the list of P65 ships and buy anything you want now. Once a mold/ship is converted to P65, there is no going back. (We are, for example, out of tin C5 light dreadnoughts and won't have any more in that metal, ever.) If you really want P65 instead of tin, check the packaging on store shelves or talk to Leanna about getting what you want. If a ship is not on the P65 list, it's not availble in P65, so don't ask.
8. The P65 list is:
Klingon C7 0372
Wyn Cluster White Shark CA 1227
Large Auxilliary 0113-1
Small Auxiliiary 0113-2
Fed Saucer 0211-1
Seltorian CA Heavy Cruiser 1504-1
Seltorian CL Light Cruiser 1505-1
Seltorian DD Destroyer 1506-1
Seltorian FF Frigate 1507-1
Seltorian Battlewagon Hive/Nest 1526
Romulan King Condor, BB 0481
Hydran Mohawk NCA 0961
Wyn Orca CW 1223-1
Wyn Mako DD 1223-2
Neo-Tholian NBB 0760
Klingon C5 DNL 0394
Gorn, BB 0647
Gorn DNL 0662
Romulan DNL 0493
Kzinti BB 0557 A
Hydran DNL 0982
Neo-Tholian [collar], NDH 0774
Kzinti DNL 0573 A
Lyran, DNL 1163 A
I managed to not notice SVC using the C-5 being out of stock before I asked the same question.