Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How would you deal with an ISC CS tournament fleet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bolo_MK_XL
Commander


Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 785
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having W&P yet, but I recall the rear firing Fs are limited to 1 firing at a ship per TURN ---
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wedge_hammersteel
Commander


Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Posts: 579
Location: Lafayette, LA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I think of drone defense. If your ship has 6 rear firing plasma Fs, you can fire all 6 at drones or you can fire 1 at a ship and the other 5 at drones.

It puzzled me why a "In Your Face" kind of empire (the ISC) would have rear firing plasmas. It seemed to me that those were more of a "fleeing the battle" defensive type weapon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bolo_MK_XL
Commander


Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 785
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC --

When you use the launcher in one mode it disables the other mode --

Either use it vs ship (1 launch) or drones --
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3479
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
IIRC --

When you use the launcher in one mode it disables the other mode --

Either use it vs ship (1 launch) or drones --

Nope. Wedge got it right. You may launch one torpedo at "ships", and any number (that you have available) at drones or shuttles. All in the same turn, if you want.

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
It puzzled me why a "In Your Face" kind of empire (the ISC) would have rear firing plasmas. It seemed to me that those were more of a "fleeing the battle" defensive type weapon.

Think of it as "covering your rear", rather than "fleeing the battle". The ISC have to know their major ships can't turn well. So, they use the rear-firing Pl-F to cover themselves in those situations.

It isn't that they are running away; they just can't always turn fast enough ...
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
terryoc
Captain


Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 1379

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISC never runs away. They simply advance in the other direction...
_________________
"Captain" Terry O'Carroll, fourteen papers published including six best of issue
"Man, Terry, you are like a loophole seeking missle!" - Mike West
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Scoutdad
Commodore


Joined: 09 Oct 2006
Posts: 4463
Location: Middle Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
The ISC never runs away. They simply advance in the other direction...


Is that what you call the move orders issued to the CA in pbem FC0001???
Wink
_________________


Scoutdad's minis photos here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 340

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
mojo jojo wrote:
How was it 20+ damage? 12 PH1 would be a difference of 10 damage between range 8 and 9.


I wasn't sure how many phasers had fired. But you took about ~27 damage going down to 5 on a full front shield (I think a mohawk has 32). Given the amount of damage, I was assuming rather more than 12 ph1s.

At most he had 20ph1 which average 3 damage at range 9 against EM. Even allowing for excellent luck I wouldn't have expected more than 7. That is a 20+ difference between what you might have expeceted and actually took.

Even going purely by averages, At range 8 he averages 20 but allowing for variance can certainly do better, and the spread is higher at range 8. You are looking at 17 extra damage on average and a noticeable chance of 20+.

Even with 12ph1s I wouldn't be handing my opponent an extra 10 average damage without a good reason. It's a given that he will fire at the end of the turn in that situation, you can't. Only close if it really does look like the extra hex is going to be absolutely crucial to whatever you are trying to achieve. Hydran fusion ships need to close fast, but not blindly.


Quote:
Edit: You do realize that the FF were at range 3 at the end of turn 1 don't you? They were well ahead of the CS.


Oopps - yes I did read that, and then forgot about that when querying the turn away.


10 pts of extra damage did not make the difference in this fight. The only thing I can think of that may make a difference is if the Hydran didn't EM in turn 2. That would've resulted in 4 additional pulses hitting from PPDs, but it would've allowed 6 additional power each for 4 ships. Of course this would've changed all the ISC maneuvering as well, so I'm not sure how the actual game would've turned out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 340

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
Not having W&P yet, but I recall the rear firing Fs are limited to 1 firing at a ship per TURN ---


That's all that was fired. Each CS launched 1 torp in impulse 8 turn 1 and 1 torp in impulse 1 turn 2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terryoc
Captain


Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 1379

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
terryoc wrote:
The ISC never runs away. They simply advance in the other direction...


Is that what you call the move orders issued to the CA in pbem FC0001???
Wink


The CA is... ah... executing a feint. Yeah, that's it.
_________________
"Captain" Terry O'Carroll, fourteen papers published including six best of issue
"Man, Terry, you are like a loophole seeking missle!" - Mike West
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
storeylf
Fleet Captain


Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 1844

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
10 pts of extra damage did not make the difference in this fight. The only thing I can think of that may make a difference is if the Hydran didn't EM in turn 2. That would've resulted in 4 additional pulses hitting from PPDs, but it would've allowed 6 additional power each for 4 ships. Of course this would've changed all the ISC maneuvering as well, so I'm not sure how the actual game would've turned out.


Whether it made a difference or not we don't know, but you didn't take 10 extra. You actually took 27 and would have at most taken 12 (rolling 12 1's!!). It still appears you took ~20 more than you needed to, that is getting significant on a front shield.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 340

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
mojo jojo wrote:
10 pts of extra damage did not make the difference in this fight. The only thing I can think of that may make a difference is if the Hydran didn't EM in turn 2. That would've resulted in 4 additional pulses hitting from PPDs, but it would've allowed 6 additional power each for 4 ships. Of course this would've changed all the ISC maneuvering as well, so I'm not sure how the actual game would've turned out.


Whether it made a difference or not we don't know, but you didn't take 10 extra. You actually took 27 and would have at most taken 12 (rolling 12 1's!!). It still appears you took ~20 more than you needed to, that is getting significant on a front shield.


Sigh. You missed the fact that the FF were at range 3 again. Those 8 PH1 did the lion's share of the phaser damage on turn 1. The 12 PH1 at range 8 certainly didn't do 27 damage!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
storeylf
Fleet Captain


Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 1844

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
storeylf wrote:
mojo jojo wrote:
10 pts of extra damage did not make the difference in this fight. The only thing I can think of that may make a difference is if the Hydran didn't EM in turn 2. That would've resulted in 4 additional pulses hitting from PPDs, but it would've allowed 6 additional power each for 4 ships. Of course this would've changed all the ISC maneuvering as well, so I'm not sure how the actual game would've turned out.


Whether it made a difference or not we don't know, but you didn't take 10 extra. You actually took 27 and would have at most taken 12 (rolling 12 1's!!). It still appears you took ~20 more than you needed to, that is getting significant on a front shield.


Sigh. You missed the fact that the FF were at range 3 again. Those 8 PH1 did the lion's share of the phaser damage on turn 1. The 12 PH1 at range 8 certainly didn't do 27 damage!


Doh - yes. sorry, after about a thousand miles of driving to parents/hospital and back over the last week I'm not concentrating enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group