Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what's up with DP d20 releases?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCfan
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: So what's up with DP d20 releases? Reply with quote

I saw DP d20 in my FLAGS a couple of weeks ago and had high hopes for the system, despite the negative reviews at rpgnet, etc. [I will probably combine it with BESM d20 anyway]. I was wondering about product releases. Does anyone know anything?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you like to know?

Klingons d20 and Romulans d20 have already been released.

Federation d20 and Tholians d20 is scheduled for a release soon.

feline Empire d20 has been talked about, but that's all I know.

Also, work has begun on a D20/Modern Prime Directive. No release date scheduled as of yet.
CCfan
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've ordered the Romulans and Kilingons books. I read that the Federation book was scheduled for July 06, and that didn't happen.
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PD pages on the legacy site (http://www.starfleetgames.com/pdindex.shtml) could certainly use some updating with more accurate information. The upcoming products page and the product pages for GURPS and d20 list products as out that haven't come out. For instance, the GURPS page says Federation was out in Fall 2005.
CmdrKiley
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the d20 Klingon book and am currently reading the Romulan book. I really like the history for the Romulans. Also I really love the cover art for the d20 Klingon book. Unfortunately the d20 Romulan book really pales in comparison to the d20 Klingon and all the GURPS covers.

What I'd really like to see is some minis for Prime Directive. The old TFG ones made by Harliquin are nice sculpts but really don't have the SFU feel. They look like some cool troops in armor and assault rifles and smgs with a few Enterprise arrow heads added on. I love Kev White's work, and I own a bunch of these but I don't use them for anything Trek related.

I'd like to see something more like what is depicted in the artwork of the Prime Directive rulebooks, particularly the original PD rulebook.

MegaMinis and Victory Force games make some nice 'generic starship crew' that look very Trek'ish. But they lack some Klingons, Romulans, Gorn and Kzinti.
CmdrKiley
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between d20 Prime Directive and d20 Modern Prime Directive?

Will d20M have more/different material or just have simply rules tweaks that correspond to the differences between d20v3.5 and d20M?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CmdrKiley wrote:
What's the difference between d20 Prime Directive and d20 Modern Prime Directive?

Will d20M have more/different material or just have simply rules tweaks that correspond to the differences between d20v3.5 and d20M?

Wehn first envisioned, PD went with the "Fantasy-based" D20 engine to reach a larger number of potentail players, since the D20 books (i.e., DND 3rd Ed) were far and away the largest sellers and had the biggest market share.

Many people (yours truly, included) think that the D20 Modern engine would be a much more appropos framework for a game set in the far future, due to the different skills and feats provided. For example, D20 Modern has skills such as:
Drive vehicle
Pilot Aircraft
Firearms Proficency, etc. All the neat things that never appear in a Medievalsettings - but need to be present in a 23rd century setting.
CmdrKiley
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, agreed. I think I'd much rather get the d20M version then. When will it be out?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not completely sure, but as soon as it is - I'll be sure to buy one. Maybe I'll ask SVC for an estimated time-frame while at Origins and let y'all know something.
CCfan
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not a big fan of d20 modern. I like the Line Officer option in PD d20 that accounts for varied skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: