Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC: Romulan Space cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Preview Upcoming Cover Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3492
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people will not need Romulan Space.

Romulan Space is the parts of Romulan Border that do not duplicate Klingon Border.

Klingon Border and Romulan Border are intended as the "gateway" products into Federation Commander. They give you everything you need to play. If you buy both, you will have some duplicate items that you don't necessarily need to have.

The intention of Romulan Space is that if you already have Klingon Border, you will get all the parts of Romulan Border that you need, without the extra pieces you don't. (This is primarily the map panels.) In return, it is cheaper.

So, if you already have Romulan Border, you don't need Romulan Space.
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:
junior wrote:
If he did that, then the angle of approach between the Fed BC and the Romulan wouldn't be right. There is, unfortunately, a very good reason why the BC is angled that way.


Why is that? Does anything say the ships have to be in the same plane to fight (which is what I'm assuming that you are referring to)?


No. My point is that (as mentioned in my original post waaaaaaay up above) the scene itself wouldn't look right. A head-on "chicken match" between two opposing starships is a lot more dramatic than showing the King Eagle angling in on the BCJ from above. If you change the angle that the BCJ is viewed at, then you may fix the giraffe perception. But the picture as a whole is diminished.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
The intention of Romulan Space is that if you already have Klingon Border, you will get all the parts of Romulan Border that you need, without the extra pieces you don't. (This is primarily the map panels.) In return, it is cheaper.

So, if you already have Romulan Border, you don't need Romulan Space.


Does it include the updated rulebook as well?

This is a mute point for me as I own both KB and RB, but when Distant Kingdoms come out, and there should be a Romulan Space equivalent product for it (with an updated rulebook hopefully), it would be nice if they were released at the same time.

Sar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3492
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Romulan Space does not include a full rulebook. Instead it contains a small booklet with the ship information and scenarios. (I.e. the stuff that isn't in the Klingon Border rulebook.)

Distant Kingdoms will not be a "Border" (or entry point) set. Therefore, it will not contain a completely rulebook, but will rather contain the new rules (and ship information and scenarios) necessary for the ships it includes.

Sometime after Distant Kingdoms (and presumably after its follow-on), there are plans to print a fully updated rulebook that will include all the rules published thus far, and all corrections. But the Kingdom products have to come out first.

[The above is my understanding. While I believe it to be correct (or I wouldn't have posted it), the truly official answer can only come from Steve Cole.]
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iirc, SVC recently posted (unfortunately, I don't remember the exact location, though I think it was on the other forum) that the product after Distant Kingdoms would probably be the Orion module. That's nowhere near set in stone, though, and it could very easily be a Distant Kingdoms follow-up. Or something else.

Presumeably the ISC will be making a FedCom appearence before long, but there have been no comments about when they'll appear. And apparently there's a very nice set of streamlined Andromedan rules that someone gave SVC, which suggests that the Andros could easily be worked in soon as well.

Provided that the ISC and Andros make it in by the end of 2009, I'm guessing that we won't see an updated rulebook until then. That would make it possible to include the systems for all races in the same book.

That's merely a guess on my part, however.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3492
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
iirc, SVC recently posted (unfortunately, I don't remember the exact location, though I think it was on the other forum) that the product after Distant Kingdoms would probably be the Orion module. That's nowhere near set in stone, though, and it could very easily be a Distant Kingdoms follow-up. Or something else.

By "follow-on" I meant a second Kingdoms module. It will likely take two full modules (currently known as Distant Kingdoms and Kingdoms Attack, though the names might change) to get the necessary ships done. We are, after all, talking about three separate groups: Hydrans, Lyrans, and WYN. And both will likely have three Boosters each.

After that set, it is anyone's guess as to what will happen or be created.

Quote:
Provided that the ISC and Andros make it in by the end of 2009, I'm guessing that we won't see an updated rulebook until then. That would make it possible to include the systems for all races in the same book.

Steve has hinted that the updated rulebook won't have to wait that long. It does need to wait for Distant Kingdoms, but that's it. It will include the PPD and rear Pl-F rules from Booster Zero, so we could end up with rules for the ISC before we get any of their ships. (It won't have Andromedans, though. That would require a lot of playtesting.)
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
junior wrote:
iirc, SVC recently posted (unfortunately, I don't remember the exact location, though I think it was on the other forum) that the product after Distant Kingdoms would probably be the Orion module. That's nowhere near set in stone, though, and it could very easily be a Distant Kingdoms follow-up. Or something else.

By "follow-on" I meant a second Kingdoms module. It will likely take two full modules (currently known as Distant Kingdoms and Kingdoms Attack, though the names might change) to get the necessary ships done. We are, after all, talking about three separate groups: Hydrans, Lyrans, and WYN. And both will likely have three Boosters each.


I understood that. But I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a recent post that indicated that the second Kingdoms module might not actually come immediately after Distant Kingdoms itself.

Of course, it's also possible that I misunderstood something in the post. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the thing to doublecheck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1568
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
junior wrote:
Provided that the ISC and Andros make it in by the end of 2009, I'm guessing that we won't see an updated rulebook until then. That would make it possible to include the systems for all races in the same book.

Steve has hinted that the updated rulebook won't have to wait that long. It does need to wait for Distant Kingdoms, but that's it. It will include the PPD and rear Pl-F rules from Booster Zero, so we could end up with rules for the ISC before we get any of their ships. (It won't have Andromedans, though. That would require a lot of playtesting.)



Rats - he had me excited there for a moment...

...but then, if the Andros can make it into War and Peace (fingers crossed!) the rules for them can go in the W&P booklet, anyway.


Gary
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 231
Location: Mobile, AL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
but then, if the Andros can make it into War and Peace (fingers crossed!) the rules for them can go in the W&P booklet, anyway.


Gary


Something tells me that FC Andro rules won't be in a 'booklet'... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
defurusu
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to hear there are plans to follow Distant Kingdoms with Kingdoms Attack (or whatever) and several boosters! I look forward to having them in my grubby paws.

Is there a planned timescale for Kingdoms Attack or the Hydran/Lyran/WYN boosters?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, there will be three boosters released shortly after Distant Kingdoms comes out.

Anything after that is still up in the air.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1568
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
junior wrote:
iirc, SVC recently posted (unfortunately, I don't remember the exact location, though I think it was on the other forum) that the product after Distant Kingdoms would probably be the Orion module. That's nowhere near set in stone, though, and it could very easily be a Distant Kingdoms follow-up. Or something else.

By "follow-on" I meant a second Kingdoms module. It will likely take two full modules (currently known as Distant Kingdoms and Kingdoms Attack, though the names might change) to get the necessary ships done. We are, after all, talking about three separate groups: Hydrans, Lyrans, and WYN. And both will likely have three Boosters each.


I'm still hoping that the addon will be called Four Powers War, and have the pre-war classes put in there (with the war classes in DK itself).


But then, that's just me...


Gary
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3492
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
I'm still hoping that the addon will be called Four Powers War, and have the pre-war classes put in there (with the war classes in DK itself).

But then, that's just me...


Yes, it probably is just you ...

Wink
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1568
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Nerroth wrote:
I'm still hoping that the addon will be called Four Powers War, and have the pre-war classes put in there (with the war classes in DK itself).

But then, that's just me...


Yes, it probably is just you ...

Wink


*patpats Far Stars Seeker, the poor lonely Royal Tiger in the corner*

There there, my filled-in catamaran, we'll find a home for you yet...

...where you'll get to eat all the Hydrans you want!


*gets on the phone to Admiral Birz'Girn, and asks if the Storm of the Firestones (how cool a name for a ship is that!) can come over to play today...*


Gary
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
junior
Captain


Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've stated my opinion on a 4PW module in the other forum, I will put a vote out for the Lyran EDN as a Communique ship if it shows up in the poll - but only after the Gorn FF and D7H, of course.

Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Preview Upcoming Cover Art All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group