Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use All Your Shields

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
terryoc
Captain


Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 1380

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Use All Your Shields Reply with quote

"Use all your shields" is important advice for any ship captain. Damage that hits your shields is damage that didn't affect your ship's ability to fight. A ship which takes two volleys and suffers two down shields is better off than a ship that takes two volleys through the same shield.

The shield boundary rules can be exploited to help with this. When firing at a ship which stacked in a hex with others, try to position the attacking ship so that return fire will hit a shield boundary. If the enemy ships try to concentrate their return fire on your attacking ship, the separate volleys can be spread over two shields.

Ships with FH disruptor arcs (such as the Klingon D5, D5W and C7 (or even B10!!)) can line up an enemy ship on the very edge of the FH arc, and take any return fire on the less-used #3 and #5 rear shields.

The arrowhead-shaped Archaeo-Tholian ships, such as the Patrol Corvette (PC), often have very wide weapon arcs as well. The PC has an incredible 300 degree arc for its primary weapons, which lets it fight through 5 of its six shields. The Tholian War Cruiser is almost as good.

Using all of your weapon's arcs can help you use all of your shields.
_________________
"Captain" Terry O'Carroll, fourteen papers published including six best of issue
"Man, Terry, you are like a loophole seeking missle!" - Mike West
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Scoutdad
Commodore


Joined: 09 Oct 2006
Posts: 4468
Location: Middle Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget to rotate damaged / undamaged shield boxes after each turn.

Over the course of several turns, you can rotate all your damaged shields to the rear hemishere of your ship leaving the front able to
withstand even more damage.

Remember, you don't earn any bonus points for returning your ship to base with undamaged shield boxes... Very Happy
_________________


Scoutdad's minis photos here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Warhammer
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 29
Location: Memphis, TN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Dont forget to rotate damaged / undamaged shield boxes after each turn.

Over the course of several turns, you can rotate all your damaged shields to the rear hemishere of your ship leaving the front able to
withstand even more damage.

Remember, you don't earn any bonus points for returning your ship to base with undamaged shield boxes... Very Happy


What page of the Fed Com rulebook is this? I don't remember seeing this anywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OGOPTIMUS
Captain


Joined: 10 Nov 2006
Posts: 981

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhammer wrote:
Scoutdad wrote:
Dont forget to rotate damaged / undamaged shield boxes after each turn.

Over the course of several turns, you can rotate all your damaged shields to the rear hemishere of your ship leaving the front able to
withstand even more damage.

Remember, you don't earn any bonus points for returning your ship to base with undamaged shield boxes... Very Happy


What page of the Fed Com rulebook is this? I don't remember seeing this anywhere.


It will take some time, but since you can transfer 5 points from one adjacent shield to another once each turn, it can be done. This is mentioned in Rule 1E3d and referenced to Rule 3C3b, which doesn't exist, but the rule is written in section 3C3, paragraph 2.
_________________
O.G. OPTIMUS


NEW Page | OLD Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
terryoc
Captain


Joined: 07 Oct 2006
Posts: 1380

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Whoops, question already answered.
_________________
"Captain" Terry O'Carroll, fourteen papers published including six best of issue
"Man, Terry, you are like a loophole seeking missle!" - Mike West
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Warhammer
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 29
Location: Memphis, TN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:
Warhammer wrote:
Scoutdad wrote:
Dont forget to rotate damaged / undamaged shield boxes after each turn.

Over the course of several turns, you can rotate all your damaged shields to the rear hemishere of your ship leaving the front able to
withstand even more damage.

Remember, you don't earn any bonus points for returning your ship to base with undamaged shield boxes... Very Happy


What page of the Fed Com rulebook is this? I don't remember seeing this anywhere.


It will take some time, but since you can transfer 5 points from one adjacent shield to another once each turn, it can be done. This is mentioned in Rule 1E3d and referenced to Rule 3C3b, which doesn't exist, but the rule is written in section 3C3, paragraph 2.


Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike
Captain


Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 1556
Location: South Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but this tactic only works when you don't take any more significant damage on that forward shield.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Repok
Ensign


Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 24
Location: Columbus, GA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it bad form to basically just "/agree" this for the bump? If someone hadn't already started the thread, I would have.


I've introduced about a dozen people to SFB/FC over the years and my single overriding advice is this: In your fist few games, look at your SSD (ship form) at the end of the game. How many shields took damage? If the answer is only one - change your tactics.

The mark of a dangerous opponent is one who can spread your damage over several shields, forcing you to waste damage potential.
_________________
"Confucius Say: Just because one end for eating, not mean other end for talking."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group