Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there miniatures snobs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Federation NCL in orange.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you then paint a jack-o-lantern face on the saucer? I've been thinking about trying that out?

And I also have a Lyran CL (Panther class) hanging on the pegboard awaiting its chance under the spotlight. Since it's a panther, I'm planning to paint it pink... naturally. Rolling Eyes
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster,

I believe that if you show up at your FLGS to play a game people would get excited, regardless of the look of you minitures. Also, keep in mind that if they are looking at your minitures they are interested in what you are doing.

As far as cannon goes I feel as though you bought the minis, you paint them as you like. It is your imagination use it how you want to.

For example my Gorn ships are painted dark green and my Romulan ships are light green instead of using grey and white according to the painting guides. Instead I used grey for my Klingons and white for the Federation. I wanted my fleets to "feel" different through the use of color.

I have decided on the theme that since both races come from a resource poor area of the galaxy and compete for the same space, both races would use similar colors (green). The other reason that I decided to paint my Romulans light green is to go with the same dramatic notion of Romans using red for their tunics. In other words the Romulans paint their ships green to match the color of their blood, a standing military tradition from ancient times.

As far a skill goes, I began painting minis in the mid 80s and I am still learning something new every day. For example, I have little experience using decals and am convinced that when I do get around to using the ones I purchased I will mess up. I know that it just takes practice and asking for advice.

If you are really concerned about the look of your minis, I would just spray each race a different color and pick out a few items to detail on each ship. Just keep it simple and enjoy.
eunderko
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Litko magnetic bases Reply with quote

I have found the magnetic bases from Litko to be fairly weak. They work ok for small/light minis, but I wouldn't count on them holding a mini from moving if it was, for example, the size of a fed/Klingon cruiser. Of course, YMMV.

Erik
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Did you then paint a jack-o-lantern face on the saucer? I've been thinking about trying that out?

And I also have a Lyran CL (Panther class) hanging on the pegboard awaiting its chance under the spotlight. Since it's a panther, I'm planning to paint it pink... naturally. Rolling Eyes

No I didn't. Maybe a future one will have a Halloween theme to it.
Maxtype
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know,we can paint our minis any way we choose,but for those (like moi) who need to 'justify' unusual schemes,I think malleman showed some good thinking.

Pretty much every race has some form of video entertainment and/or propaganda.I can see a squadron or fleet getting a special scheme for any number of propaganda purposes.

The 3rd Fleet's 'Flying Circus'? The Klingon 'Blood Squadron'. Creativity is a good thing! Very Happy
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my leftover Warhammer Space Marine decals on my ships.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Federation's "Fighting Jack-O'lanterns" ??? Laughing

Actually, while most of my ships are based on canon schemes, if you look closely, you'll see where I deviate just a bit on every race, 'cause they're my ships and I don't like everything canon about every scheme...
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, the closest semi-regular SFB/FC group are counter-snobs, and turn up their noses if you have miniatures. I always thought that was decidedly odd...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: